The site is a former refinery that occupied approximately 64 acres of land in West Texas. Refinery operations produced all grades of gasoline, tractor fuels, diesel, distillate products, and fuel oils and operated between 1939 and 1954. As a result of past waste management practices, releases to soils and ultimately ground water occurred, resulting in the formation of a dissolved-phase benzene and 1,2-dichloroethane plume more than a mile in length. Beneath the facility itself contamination in the form of a light nonaqueous phase liquid (LNAPL) also occured.
Analysis of this LNAPL suggested that this partially refined product was a petroleum condensate. The remedy implemented at the site consists of a site-wide groundwater recovery and treatment system combined with a source area soil vapor extraction system.