This paper describes the development of a novel onsite sanitation system based on vermifiltration, the ‘Tiger Toilet’. Initial laboratory experiments demonstrated that feed distribution was not required, a worm density of 2 kg/m2 could be used, worms preferred wetter environments, and system configuration did not affect effluent quality. Installing the first prototype in the UK proved that the process functioned when scaled, i.e., chemical oxygen demand and thermotolerant coliform reduction were found to be comparable with the laboratory results. Ten prototypes were then tested by households in rural India; all were working well after six months. The vermifilters were processing the amount of faeces entering the system on a daily basis, so faeces was not accumulating. It was estimated that they would require emptying after approximately five years, based on the depth of the vermicompost generated. With further development, it is believed that the Tiger Toilet has the potential to become a superior form of onsite sanitation, when compared with traditional onsite sanitation technologies.
Case study: Innovative portable package wastewater treatment plants
DEVISE ENGINEERING S.A. has designed, engineered and is currently producing a new series of State of the Art Portable Sewage Treatment Plants (PSTP), incorporating advanced Ultra-Filtration (MBR) technology.These Plants are used for multiple “emergency” & “short-term” purposes with the ability to re-use the treated effluent. The particular Portable STP can be easily installed in the designated site and if needed, it can be swiftly relocated by standard platform trucks, deployed and be...
Occurrence of heavy metals and contaminants on the surface of adjacent rivers
Water is fundamental to the survival of living beings. It registers every impact and can function as an indicator of environmental stressors. Our objective in the current study was to assess the sanitary conditions of the waters in the Açude, Maria Lucinda and Santa Rosa streams. This was done by checking pH, running quantitative analyses of heavy metals and testing for total coliforms. The effect of ultraviolet (UV) rays on samples positive for coliforms was evaluated. The average pH of the streams ranged...
Ceramic pot filters lifetime study in coastal Guatemala
Ceramic pot filters (CPFs) are an effective means of household water treatment, but the characterization of CPF lifetimes is ongoing. This paper describes a lifetime field study in Guatemala which was made possible by a collaboration between researchers, CPF-using households, and local non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Disinfection data were collected periodically for two years using field coliform enumeration kits as were flow rate data with the assistance of NGO staff. Consumer acceptance was characterized...
A comprehensive approach for diagnosing opportunities for improving the performance of a WWTP
High quality services of wastewater treatment require a continuous assessment and improvement of the technical, environmental and economic performance. This paper demonstrates a comprehensive approach for benchmarking wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs), using performance indicators (PIs) and indices (PXs), in a ‘plan-do-check-act’ cycle routine driven by objectives. The performance objectives herein illustrated were to diagnose the effectiveness and energy performance of an oxidation ditch WWTP. The PI and PX...
The DNA Revolution for Water Professionals
Imagine trying to solve a problem when you are provided just 1% of the total data. This is essentially the case in analyzing water and wastewater microbiomes. Conventional microbiological testing methods such as culture and microscopy can identify only about 1% of microorganisms that are contained in a typical environmental sample. The remaining 99% are known to be there, but can not be identified by traditional culture tests. This 99% of unidentifiable microbes are sometimes referred to as “microbial dark...