Keywords: toxicity, polymeric ferric sulphate, coagulant, drinking water
Toxicity evaluation of polymeric ferric sulphate
Toxicity evaluation of water treated with polymeric ferric sulphate (PFS), an aluminium-free coagulant, was conducted in this research. Six-week old male F344/N rats exposed to PFS-treated water for three months did not show any obvious pathology as observed histologically or in clinical chemistry compared to rats given tap water. There was no significant difference in body weight gain in the rats drinking PFS-treated water compared with rats drinking tap water between five and eight weeks of treatment. Prolonged exposure to PFS-treated water is warranted to elucidate further the possible toxicity of aluminium-free coagulant.