The EU Air Implementation Pilot project
In 2012 the European Environment Agency (EEA) and the European Commission's DG Environment established the Air Implementation Pilot project:
By exchanging experiences among cities and looking in-depth into their air quality activities, the project aims:
- to explore how far the implementation of EU air quality legislation has progressed at regional or urban levels (with a focus on cities);
- to inform the European Union about results and experiences from the local level, and to provide proposals for improved implementation measures and action plans to improve air quality.
The Air Implementation Pilot addresses a number of issues relevant for local air quality management. These include:
- assessing the status of local emission inventories and how well they inform the development of local action plans to improve air quality;
- examining how air quality models take into account different air pollutant sources and how they are linked to air pollutant concentrations at the city level;
- identifying how cities communicate air quality status to the public and sharing innovative ideas in particular those well received by citizens.