Vertical Or Horizontal Recycling Balers
How Do You Know If You Need Vertical Or Horizontal Recycling Balers?
The first question you should ask yourself is, “Do I need a Baler At All?” If your business creates excess recyclable commodities such as OCC, PET, aluminum, paper, plastic, foam, textiles, shrink wrap, or non-ferrous metals, then the answer is a resounding “Yes!”.
Investing in vertical or horizontal recycling balers is simply that, an investment in your business; one that provides an immediate return on that investment (ROI).
Balers are an important part of any business that wants to:
- Provide a safe work area, free of debris, hazards, vermin, and odor.
- Compress the recyclable material and secure it safely for transport.
- Earn additional revenue by recycling the material for money.
- Protect the environment from adding recyclable material to the landfill.
Which Type of Baler Do I Need?
Balers come in two distinct styles, vertical and horizontal. One style is not better or worse than the other. The type of baler you need depends on the type of material you are recycling, the volume of material you need to bale, the frequency you need to bale it, the number of staff available to bale it, and the space available in your facility for baling.
Why Vertical Balers?
Vertical Balers are typically manually fed and front loaded. They provide many benefits for businesses. Here are just a few:
- Vertical Balers take up less space to operate. Their vertical orientation takes advantage of space that is typically unused in back rooms and storage areas.
- Vertical Balers come in a variety of sizes. This is important, as not every business has a large warehouse in which to operate their baler. Vertical Balers must be moved into place, which, depending on the baler, might require a pallet jack, someone pushing it, or a variety of different sized forklifts. The size of the baler also determines the size of the bale. Smaller bales can be ejected and removed by hand or with a Harmony bale cart. Larger bales may require chain or hydraulic eject and be removed by a pallet jack or forklift. Harmony Enterprises offers 17 vertical balers for you to choose from, ranging in size from 30-72″.
- Vertical Balers come in a variety of electrical configurations. This is also important if your business has certain electrical or budgetary limitations.
- Vertical Balers are budget friendly. One advantage vertical balers has over its counterpart horizontal balers is that they are much less expensive.
- Vertical Balers are easy to load – typically front-loaded. Some are conveyor fed.
Summary: Vertical balers are the ideal recycling solution for businesses with smaller quantities of material to bale, limited operational space, budget constraints, and who have employees they can designate to operate the baler on a consistent basis. Learn more about Vertical Balers By Harmony here.
Why Horizontal Balers?
There are many types of Horizontal Balers. Each one is engineered for a specific application. The three most common types are a closed door manual tie baler, a two ram baler, and an auto tie baler. Here are just a few of the benefits offered through the use of a horizontal baler:
- Horizontal Balers allow businesses to bale large amounts of recyclables. They are often used in recycling centers, distribution centers, and industrial applications, as they require more operational space.
- Horizontal Balers are helpful for businesses who want to fully automate their baling process. They are integrated with color touch screen HMI’s that pre-program the size, weight, and type of bale being made. This means that some horizontal balers do not require an employee to operate the baler at all times.
- Horizontal Balers offer an advantage in speed. Loading is often done in a hopper and conveyor system that moves product into the baler without any down time.
- Horizontal Balers make mill-sized bales, which is the desired size for haulers and recyclers.
Summary: Horizontal Balers are used in larger recycling operations, incorporating technologies such as auto-tie features and shear blades. Their capability to be continuously fed by a conveyor allow them to make large, mill-sized bales quickly and without disrupting the recycling process.
Options for Purchase, Lease, Or Rental
Once you have determined the type of baler you need, you might need help in financing the up front cost of your equipment. Harmony Enterprises is able to provide affordable purchase, lease, or rental options for our full line of balers and compactors.
Our experienced and knowledgeable sales staff is prepared to help you find the right balers for recycling for your business. We use Harmony’s Proven Process to ensure that you are totally satisfied with your equipment from start to finish.
We are able to provide you no obligation site reviews for larger projects and free quotes on all of our recycling balers. If you are interested in learning more about the differences between vertical and horizontal balers for recycling.