Waste-to-energy’s contribution to climate protection

0
The Confederation of European Waste-to-Energy Plants commissioned a study into waste-to-energy’s contribution to climate protection. It demonstrates the positive effect the implementation of the energy efficiency formula (R1, Annex II), proposed by the Commission in the new Waste Framework Directive and supported by the Council, could have on CO2 emissions.

The study concludes that CO2 emissions would reduce further by up to 45 million tonnes per year, which is equivalent to the annual CO2 emissions of over 20 million cars, if Waste-to-Energy plant operators have the incentive to be classified as energy recovery by reaching these ambitious energy efficiency thresholds.

The study is based on the assumption that an ambitious policy target of 60% recycling by 2020 and efficient waste prevention measures are implemented. The remaining 40% should be used to efficiently generate energy instead of being landfilled.

The calculations are based on the methodological agreements made by the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in the framework of the UN Convention of Climate Change.

Customer comments

No comments were found for Waste-to-energy’s contribution to climate protection. Be the first to comment!