After years of colonial rule and a long struggle to end external administration, Namibia became independent in 1990. The realization of political reform within a modern democratic framework has called for wide-ranging reforms in all sectors of the economy to which the water sector is not an exception. Institutional reforms in the water sector were undertaken with an overall aim of introducing integrated water resources management as a durable solution to the water challenges of the arid environment prevailing in Namibia. The reforms included the development of a new national water policy, the preparation of draft legislation, and new organizational changes to develop, manage and regulate activities in the water sector. Although institutional reforms in the water sector are necessary to meet the demands of a new nation, they cannot succeed without the required level of skill and capacity both within and outside water administration. While it is relatively easier to formulate new policies, promulgate legislation and create new organizations, it is very difficult for an emerging country to develop quickly the human capacity necessary to handle the reforms, especially when inadequate funding constraints create a conflict between resource development and capacity building.
Autonomous water sampling and monitoring boat used in Black smelly water management - Case Study
Site: 9 rivers in Zhenjiang City（total 120km） Equipment: sample collection monitoring USV ESM30 OR MM70 Monitoring stations set up:each400m set up one station(total 310stations), monitoring under water surface 0.5m Monitoring project: Ammonia nitrogen and dissolved oxygen etc 7 parameters Result:Monitoring reports and the water quality distribution of 9 rivers, per month twice. The government leader can master the river quality change according to the ecological environment monitoring network,su...
Water is the most valuable asset on earth, which determines to a significant extent the development of life in all corners of the world. 95% of the amount of water on earth is chemically bound in rocks making it impossible to utilize and be part of the hydrological cycle. Of the remaining 5%, 97% is saline found in oceans and seas, while the remaining 3% is distributed: • 2,37% in polar ice and glaciers • 0,6% in deep underground aquifers, which are not exploitable • and finally 0,03% in...
Wetlands act as valuable urban water treatment
As cities and urban landscapes expand across the globe, water resource management continues to pose a huge challenge. Natural wetlands are often built over as cities grow, but a recent strategy of green infrastructure applies the opposite principle – wetlands are protected and constructed as part of city planning. Wetlands, whether natural or man-made, act as large-scale storage and filtration centers for water streams. Beyond providing a habitat for wildlife and greenery in otherwise urban landscapes,...
4 Benefits of using a centralized solution for water management
Water and wastewater management are closely tied with energy use, environmental impact and employee safety, as each of these impacts—and is impacted by—water management processes in your organization. Just like with all of your other EHS processes, how you manage and organize water and wastewater management can make a big difference in its success. Here are some benefits of managing all water and wastewater permits, analytical results and reports in one central platform. 1. You’ll Stay on...
Reservoir Management - Online Oil-In-Water Monitor - Case Study
Background Older generation online oil-in-water (OiW) monitors may suffer from fouling of optics due to scales, soaps, emulsions, sludge, etc., resulting in inaccurate (usually low) concentrations. New generation OiW monitors: Yield more accurate O iW concentrations Improve accuracy of the OiW measurements, allowing operators to optimize water treatment systems so that more product is recovered and less is re-injected or discharged into the environment. Reduce operator maintenance and recalibration...