All of the glass which has been crushed using a PEL bottle crusher is recycled and reprocessed back into bottles.
The cullet produced by PEL bottle crushers has been approved by the leading glass manufacturers as a supplier of high quality glass cullet.
85% of the cullet produced is above 8mm and can be reprocessed back into bottles.
The glass is crushed to the size of a cullet; approximately 8mm. The following diagram outlines the process which occurs to make the glass bottles back into glass:
*It is important to note that not all bottle crushers produce glass suitable for recycling. In many cases the glass is crushed to below 8mm or even to a fine dust. This glass therefore cannot be reprocessed back into glass bottles. It often lands up in landfill.
When purchasing or renting a bottle crusher be sure to ask what will happen to your crushed glass!
The benefits of recycling glass are countless:
- The unique properties of glass mean it can be endlessly recycled and never lose its quality.
- Alternatively, when in landfill glass can take up to 1,000 years to decompose.
- Glass offers a unique closed loop system as shown by the above diagram
- Glass comes from nature
- Glass is 100% recyclable
- Using 1 tonne of recycled glass to make new glass, instead of using raw materials saves:
- 1.2 tonnes of virgin raw materials are saved
- .67 tonnes of Co2 are saved