Working in confined spaces: Portable Blower Fan vs Portable Exhaust Fan
In this post we will continue to deepen into the importance of ventilation in confined spaces that we previously explained. We remember that in these spaces (cisterns, wells, manholes, basements, pits, tunnels, silos or mines), natural ventilation is generally not available, so the atmosphere is deficient in oxygen and accumulates contaminating, toxic and flammable gases, so making a measurement of the gases in the confined space before entering is absolutely necessary in order to know what we are facing.
However, the ideal is always to favor as much as possible the natural ventilation of the enclosure.
Apply forced ventilation when:
- Natural ventilation is not satisfactory enough.
- The results of the environmental assessments advise so.
- Work is carried out with emission of pollutants.
- Equipment with combustion engines such as motor pumps, compressors, etc. are used in the premises or in their area of work.
- Generally, when it represents a significant improvement in the quality of the indoor environment.
What are the considered forced ventilation equipment?
- Bivalent portable fans, applicable as vacuum cleaners or as impellers.
- High capacity, autonomous or dependent ventilation equipment for the general ventilation of large collectors by suction or blowing.
- Sanitation exhaust truck equipment.
- Exhaust fan or air blower.
- In certain installations, it may be necessary to have fixed ventilation systems: pumping stations, filtration and wastewater treatment plants, landfill collectors, septic tanks, waste stacks, etc.
Most effective types of ventilation according to confined space
Ventilation of vertical enclosures without openings to the sewage system
Ventilation of enclosures open to the sewage system
Forced ventilation with portable
fans in horizontal pipes, tunnels…
Galleries, collectors, tunnels, sewage system…
Note: The effectiveness of portable exhaust fans or portable blower fans for confined spaces can be effective in the case of galleries, tunnels or general sewer networks, thanks to the installation of lateral shutters at both ends to isolate the area.
In IVERNA we have specific ventilation technology for urban sanitation networks (portable air blowers and exhaust fans, electric blowers, centrifugal fans…) with equipment such as Pozovent, a versatile equipment of electricity or gasoline, that connects directly to the shape of the well; CVG– Sparkproof (for explosive gases, methane gas) Gas and odor exhaust and blower fans for different flow rates and our Motovent with gasoline engine, also for extraction and ventilation of wells.
Find out more about our products here or write us on the web form and let us advise you on the equipment that best suits your needs.