YEP Programmes for international talents
NWP was instrumental in setting up YEP in 2013. Originally focusing on water, YEP was extended in 2015 with YEP Agrofood and in 2019 with YEP Energy, and now since consists of three programmes: YEP Water, YEP Agrofood and YEP Energy. Additionally, YEP Tailor-made was set up in 2018 for co-funded organisations to buy in the unique YEP Training & Coaching Programme. YEP is the joint endeavour of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the NWP, the Food & Business Knowledge Platform (F&BKP) and the Netherlands Enterprise Agency.
YEP offers young Dutch professionals the opportunity to gain experience abroad and young local professionals the opportunity to gain international experience through Dutch organisations. The Young Experts receive intensive training and coaching. They identify opportunities for professional development and personal growth, and focus their work on change, stakeholders and results.
Dutch companies, knowledge institutions and social organisations outside the Netherlands that work on development cooperation can submit a project proposal for the deployment of a Young Expert. The period of deployment is between one and two years and must fall under the priority areas of the Dutch development cooperation policy.
- Efficient water management, in particular in the agricultural sector.
- Improved river basin management and safe estuaries.
- Access to safe drinking water and sanitation.
- Eradication of hunger and malnutrition.
- Promotion of inclusive and sustainable growth in the agricultural sector.
- Creation of ecologically sustainable food systems.
- Decentral energy access to affordable energy services for households, including clean cooking solutions.
- Innovation (technology, finance and business).
- Productive use of renewable energy for SMEs, farmers and social institutions.
Over 460 Young Experts have been deployed in 39 countries, through more than 125 different organisations. Ninety-two percent of the 230 YEP alumni are still continuing their careers in the water and/or agrifood sectors.
YEP is coordinated by the YEP Programme Bureau. NWP acts as the Programme Bureau's lead agency.