Measures on Hazardous Substances Registration
On October 11, 201, China's State Administration of Work Safety (SAWS) issued the notice for public consultation (by 18 November 2011) on the newly revised draft of the Measures on Hazardous Substances Registration. The revised Measures are about to take effect on December 1, 2011; the old Measures (2002 version) will be annulled. Created as a supporting law for Decree No. 591 (Regulations on the Control over Safety of Hazardous Chemicals, 2011 version), the revised Measures are available after 3 months of repeated studies and discussions among the relevant national authorities, experts and companies from May 2011 to September 2011.
- Authors / Editors:
- REACH24H GHS Team
- Nov. 2011
The Measures aim to strengthen and standardize the registration of hazardous substances and to provide technical and administrative support for emergency procedures and for the prevention of hazardous chemical accidents. They will regulate all manufacturers and importers of hazardous chemical substances that have been listed in the Catalogue of Hazardous Chemicals.
The registration of hazardous substances is a mandatory requirement on the mainland of China. The registration of hazardous substances consists of an application that is reviewed by two agencies that manage the registration work: the local registration office and the National Registration Center for Chemicals (hereinafter as `NRCC`) of State Administration of Work Safety (hereinafter as `SAWS`); if approved the NRCC will issue the registration certificates.
- An archive management system required for registrants, including product name, volume, substance identifier, hazard classification, safety data sheet (SDS) and the chemical label, etc.
- Emergency response measures: emergency telephone number, response measures to chemical accidents such as fire, explosion, leakage, poisoning, apnoea and burns, etc.
- Emergency response consulting services required for registrants: local fixed-line telephone 24X7, hazardous substance database, professional staff, etc.
- Submitting activity report for the past fiscal year to the local registration office before 10 January of each year
- Chapter I:[General Principles]
- Chapter II: [Registration Authorities]
- Chapter III: [Contents and Procedure of Registration]
- Chapter IV: [Registering Enterprises]
- Chapter V: [Supervision and Administration]
- Chapter VI: [Legal Liability]
- Chapter VII: [Supplementary Rules]