A division of Thomas Armstrong Holdings, ACP (Concrete) Ltd, is a specialist precast concrete company. Production at our four manufacturing plants is carried out using the most modern of methods and equipment, for the quality production of our range of Prestressed Concrete Products and Precast Concrete Products, ensuring that the highest standards of quality are achieved. As part of the Thomas Armstrong group, ACP (Concrete) Ltd has the resources and infrastructure to meet the high demands of its customers in relation to quality of service and product, benefiting from 180 years of expertise, development and growth in the manufacture and supply of quality building products to the construction industry.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Construction & Construction Materials
- Market Focus:
- Nationally (across the country)
ACP (Concrete) Ltd have the technical expertise, the flexibility in production methods and the resources to Interpret, Design and Manufacture to the highest standards to meet the requirements of its customers, bringing modern methods of construction to our clients through the benefits of off-site construction. A full technical support service is offered, including Design Lay-out Drawings and Calculations.
Specialist manufacturers of precast concrete wall panels. Using ISO 9001 quality assured concrete, designed to BS8110 & Eurocode 2 by our in-house engineer’s, we offer 145mm, 180mm and 280mm thick prestressed panels, precast ‘L’ shapes and Arrow panels for construction of EfW facilities. Quickly installed, ready to use immediately.
ACP( Concrete) Ltd mission statement is to deliver a quality of product on time and in budget.
To that end, our mission is:
- To provide for our customers the highest level of quality product and service at fair and market competitive prices.
- To ensure the longevity of our company through repeat and referral business achieved by customer satisfaction in all areas including timeliness, attention to detail and service-minded attitudes.
- To maintain the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, honesty and fairness in our relationships with our suppliers, subcontractors, professional associates and customers.
- To offer our customers innovation and flexibility.
- To meet the full requirements of all current legislation.
The Thomas Armstrong Family
ACP (Concrete) Ltd is part of Thomas Armstrong Holdings, a family owned company of over 180 years standing, which specialises in the manufacture and supply of construction products as well as having a major contract construction division. Originally the precast division of Thomas Armstrong Construction, manufacturing lintels, cills, copings and steps, ACP Concrete Ltd was formed in as a stand alone company in 1986 to develop precast sales through the local building industry and merchants. Product development came through the introduction of a multi cast Mac Fab machine which allowed for the mass production of our range of precast products in particular the reinforced concrete lintels. In 1990 the company invested in its first prestressed floor beam bed (10 nos runs x 36m), and were the first precaster in the country to have an adjustable stair mould. In keeping with the innovative philosophy ACP was also the first precast company to introduce a volumetric mixer in 1993. Subsequent investment into a wideslab bed allowed the company to bring greater economies and synergies into the business. The company now has 10 floor ‘T’ beam beds including 225mm beam casting beds, 10 nos stair moulds and 2 nos ramp moulds together with 8 nos 60m long wideslab beds.
In 1999 ACP (Concrete) Ltd acquired a prestressed concrete panel manufacturing company, Robinson Concrete, with 3 nos prestressing beds. Continuing expansion over the last decade has increased this to 12 nos beds each 80m long producing in the region of 5km of wall panels per week.
The greatest development of ACP (Concrete) Ltd came through the acquistion and redevelopment of the old Corus Steel site at Lakes Road, Workington. This included the introduction of overhead cranes and tug tractor units and investment in the most up-to-date concrete batching facilities including our own on site mixer trucks (one of which can deliver 12m³ concrete at any one time), all of which brought economies of scale to ACP and benefits to the group. The move to Lakes Road allowed expansion in all our major product lines as well as allowing us to develop the bespoke product side of the business.
The businesses owned and operated by the company include Thomas Armstrong (Aggregates) Ltd, quarrying and supplying bulk sand & aggregates etc; Thomas Armstrong (Transport) Ltd, Thomas Armstrong (Timber) Ltd, manufacturing timber roof trusses & timber frames; Thomas Armstrong (Concrete Blocks) Ltd, Coulthard Concrete Products (1980) Ltd, Stock Blocks and William Rainford Holdings Ltd, all manufacturers of many types of precast concrete blocks. ACP (Concrete) Ltd benefits from the ability of the group to supply most of the major raw materials required including cement. The holding company provides ACP (Concrete) Ltd with the resources and expertise to expand and develop to meet the needs of their customers.
A key to our success and longevity as a company lies in the consitency of the quality of our products and services. We recognise that quality is key to satisfying our existing customers and to attracting potentially new ones. With this in mind, we operate stringent quality control measures at all of our operations. Through this we can:
- Give the customer what they want and wherever possible exceed their expectations
- Eliminate unnecessary waste; for our customers and ourselves
- Ensure compliance with necessary regulatory standards and codes of practice
- React quickly to any issues which may arise and rectify the problem as soon as possible
Throughout our organisation, we promote a culture of health and safety and each location is regularly inspected and audited by safety professionals. Mechanisms are in place to react to incidents and defects and all employees are encouraged to report near misses and potential accidents waiting to happen. We take all measures to protect the safety and wellbeing of visitors, contractors and neighbours and communicate our safety policy. We provide all necessary internal and external training for our employees and continually strive to improve health and safety throughout the organisation.
Thomas Armstrong Group are fully supportive and are signed up to the Heath & Safety Executive Strategy scheme which aims to reduce the amount of workplace related accidents and illnesses. This includes a pledge by all signed up employers to:
- Agree to play our part in reducing the numbers of work-related deaths, injuries and ill-health in Great Britain.
- Call on employers to put health and safety at the heart of what they do and to take a common sense approach to health and safety.
- Commit to debunking myths around health and safety that trivialise the impact of injuries, ill health and deaths on individuals and their families.
- Recognise the importance of health and safety in difficult economic times and the dangers of complacency.
- Pledge to work with the Health and Safety Executive and its partners to Be Part of the Solution.
We are aware of the potential impact that our operations may have on the environment and are continually assessing this with a view to minimising any effects. The Thomas Armstrong group is fully committed to minimising the impact of all of its operations on the environment. This committment includes the following:
- Using wherever possible the latest, low energy manufacturing technology
- Operating a modern, low-emissions fleet of road vehicles and mobile plant across its sites
- Sourcing of local raw materials, supporting local economies and jobs
- Minimising waste produced through our processes
- Using recycled and reclaimed materials wherever possible in our products
- Managing our sites in accordance with an Environmental Management system such as ISO 14001
- Continual improvement of environmental performance
The sustainability of our operations is of the utmost importance to the Company. The Group’s aim is to maximise our sustainability at all levels, from design, manufacture, production and waste disposal. Abundant local, naturally occurring, raw materials are incorporated in the latest most efficient manufacturing processes to form durable long life products. Product reuse and recycling is designed into all our systems. Waste products generated during the manufacturing process are recycled on site and incorporated into the raw material supply. The use of dense durable building materials can provide a large thermal mass within the structure minimizing the use of energy for heating and cooling the building offering significant reductions in CO2 emissions over the life of the building.