Americana Environmental manufactures the Bulb Terminator, a consumer friendly mercury bulb recycling center for spent CFL and fluorescent bulbs. The machine was conceived to allow an individual to dispose of the bulbs by turning the bulb particulate into ordinary waste and safely recycling the mercury. The Bulb Terminator has built in customer support with a built in Wi-Fi support system A reverse vending machine for public and private use that purifies the particulate to ordinary waste for CFL and fluorescent bulbs and dispenses store discount coupons and a receipt for safe disposal of Mercury bulbs
CFL bulbs are extremely energy-efficient compared to incandescent light bulbs because they require less energy to provide the same amount of light. The use of fluorescent light bulbs, rather than incandescent light bulbs, reduces the release of mercury and greenhouse gases from coal-burning power plants. If every home in America replaced just one incandescent light bulb with an energy-saving bulb, it would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes and prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those of more than 800,000 cars annually.
The amount of mercury in CFL bulbs, ranges between 4.5 milligrams to 5.0 milligrams. The amount varies depending on the type of lamp, the manufacturer and the date they were made. Although companies have tried to reduce the amount of mercury used to produce these bulbs, they are not yet able to completely eliminate the need for mercury. Millions of these bulbs are discarded with the household trash and become broken and they collectively contribute to the vast amount of mercury vapor released into the environment.
U.S. Government mandates the use of mercury-containing bulbs.
The United States Environmental Agency (EPA) encourages the use of CFL bulbs, but also estimates that over 900 million of these bulbs entered our landfills as at 2010. This number is without consideration at the newly mandated law requiring these energy-saving CFL bulbs to be mass distributed to the general public.
CFL bulbs can can save up 80 to 90% more energy than the typical incandescent bulb; as well as conserving the nation's energy requirements.
Mercury is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, unless under a black light, then the vapors can be seen rising from the tooth like it was a cigarette. Mercury is a natural and very poisonous substance, its chemical symbol is Hg, and the commonly found and used chemical of Mercury is Mercuric Sulfide HgS.
Mercury poisoning symptoms are systemic. This means that it doesn’t just affect one part of the body, but it affects every system in the body. In addition to this, mercury poisoning inhibits the immune system and therefore the patient will have other diseases as well.
Symptoms of mercury poisoning in humans:
- Psychological disturbances: Angry fits, short term memory loss, low self esteem, inability to sleep, loss of self-control, sleepiness. Loss of an ability to learn new things, doing things by rote.
- Oral Cavity problems: Inflammation of the mouth, loss of bone around teeth, ulcerated gums and other areas in the mouth, loose teeth, darkening of gums, taste of metal, bleeding of gums.
- Digestive tract problems: Cramps, inflamed colon, GI problems, Diarrhea and other digestive problems.
- Cardiovascular problems: Weak pulse, blood pressure changes, chest pain, or feeling of pressure in the chest area.
- Respiratory problems: Weakness and problems with breathing, Emphysema, Coughing persistently.
- Neurological Problems: Headaches, vertigo, tinnitus, shaking in various areas of the body (eye lids, feet etc)
- Symptoms in children: Mercury poisoning in Children is a cause of many symptoms of developmental disorders including Autism, Asperger’s, PDD-NOS, ADD.