AYALA Water & Ecology
AYALA Water & Ecology is a company of sustainability experts since 1989 with internationally recognized experience in Nature Based wastewater treatment (NBWWT), environmental rehabilitation, and integral design of watershed management using only natural, energy-free tools to restore balance to the environment, mimicking nature. Vision - Transforming the approach to watershed management toward global water security, Carbon Footprint reduction, and regaining environmental balance. Mission - Providing the world with the tools to pursue a more holistic approach to water management, breaking the Water-Energy Nexus, reducing to a minimum the dependence on human intervention and the use of non-renewable energy, enlarging green coverage, and providing clean water for all. Naturally Reversing Climate change.
Ayala Water & Ecology Ltd, is a company of sustainability experts with 30+ years of experience in the field of Nature Based Solutions and operating with a simple goal:
Use natural, energy free, tools to restore balance to the environment.
This goal led to the development of the Natural Biological System, a sustainable natural technology for treating sewage and waste streams, watershed management, rehabilitating affected water bodies and rebalancing the environment.
From headquarters at an organic farm owned by Ayala's founder and CEO Eli Cohen in Zipori, Israel, and through worldwide partners, Ayala designs and implements the NBS as a tailored solution that integrates into the social and environmental fabric, providing an economical and aesthetic side of waste treatment that has never been known before.
Ranging in scope from acid mine drainage remediation in Chile to urban sewage treatment in India, the NBS is changing the global water-energy equation, reducing dependence on energy and maintenance, freeing up valuable water resources for on-site usage, and most of all, restoring nature’s ability to preserve and protect itself.
The growing problems around the world of massive water consumption and pollution, destruction of the active 'green cover' and aquifers, extensive pavement that prevents recharge- needs a completely new approach to urban and watershed planning. Instead of adopting larger and larger centralized “solutions” with their attendant demands of infrastructure and energy, the NBS™ approach is to break the problem down into onsite, manageable and economic solutions. These onsite solutions are designed as part of the urban green landscape and serve several functions at once: they treat sewage, recharge the aquifer, harvest water, prevent floods, act as green lungs, reduce energy needs for transport of water and eliminate needs for failure-prone piping. This solution is a breakthrough for development in cities, significantly reducing the operating costs and budget associated with both the water and energy sectors. Cities benefiting from this approach are found in France, India, Israel, Mexico and Greece.
The NBS™ is used to holistically purify contaminated water, soil and air, simultaneously. Each system is created of modular treatment compartments sewn into the natural topography to minimize energy requirements. Inside the treatment compartments are a combination of biotic and abiotic components, plants and aggregates selected for their physical and chemical properties and varying internal hydraulic layouts. The NBS™ is tailored for each case and adapted to be effective anywhere in the world. All of the systems are designed to stand well within regulatory demands, and do so at a fraction of the operating costs and maintenance of conventional technologies.
Specialty applications: The NBS™ has been optimized for many waste generating sectors through years of experience and research. Examples include radical –and sustainable- new approaches for treating dairy farm sewage, hydrocarbons, landfill leachate, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and hormones, aquaculture, RO brines, sewage streams - and more. Each case is backed up with laboratory testing ensuring that local regulations are met and improved on.
NBS concept is based on the following guidelines:
- Every design is preceded by a thorough survey, learning the site’s unique conditions, generating a holistic understanding and approach to the problems.
- The system is designed to function without mechanical or human intervention to the greatest extent possible. As a result, the systems' maintenance costs are very low.
- Purification systems are designed to treat a whole range of contaminants simultaneously and to act as a powerful buffer, absorbing high fluctuations in sewage quality.
- Sewage and soil are treated as close to their source as possible, with minimal use of pipe systems and pumps.
- Local labor is used for system development and maintenance.
- Local components such as plants and aggregates are used as much as possible.
- The system is integrated into the landscape design, creating a powerful natural 'green lung' that creates no nuisance and becomes a natural habitat which we call 'Active landscape'.
- All of the on-site water resources (run-off, rainfall, marginal and waste streams) are included in the holistic design, dramatically expanding treatment and onsite reuse options.