Bio-Microbics manufactures innovative, advanced wastewater treatment systems, septic system alternative products, and stormwater treatment that provide ideal solutions and water reuse opportunities for single-family & multi-family homes, clustered subdivisions, small communities and commercial properties around the world.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Water Treatment
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
- $10,000,000 US - $100,000,000 US
Established in 1996 for the sole purpose of providing better water management systems for decentralized applications, BioMicrobics has grown into a leading global manufacturer for distributing proven, award-winning technologies that solve many of today’s water crisis issues. We are committed to enthusing property owners everywhere on the best practices of water-related topics.
BioMicrobics manufactures innovative, advanced wastewater treatment systems, greywater, water reuse and recycling systems, and stormwater treatment that provide unique solutions for decentralized homes, clustered subdivisions, small communities, commercial properties, and marine vessels around the world.
Nothing is more fundamental to sustainability than maintaining a healthy water supply for the property with that comes better, integrated management of water opportunities. BioMicrobics has grown from one product focused on single-family, decentralized wastewater treatment into a multi-faceted corporation to deliver water solutions that are better for the environment and better for the bottom line.
Along with Scienco/FAST and SeptiTech (both subsidiaries), our goal is to help clean the water in our world and produce simple, low cost, and robust technologies, devices, and products that deliver highly-effective, low maintenance and energy-efficient water treatment systems. We provide a high-quality turnkey, client-focused service from design through to commissioning, working closely with local councils, authorities, consulting engineers, and property developers to help them design the most appropriate system for their needs. BioMicrobics is committed to providing our clients with the highest standards of excellence not only in product delivery but also after-sales service.
The world is certainly getting smarter at calculating the real price of water use in terms of extraction, treatment and transport, as well as energy use. This paves the way for a more innovative approach to water management with small, FITT-for Purpose with award-winning technologies. With this worldwide emphasis on environmental concerns and improving water quality, our pre-engineered, pre-packaged, certified, “Fixed Integrated Treatment Technologies” (FITT) are the result of decades of real-world operating history and proven results that offer significant environmental benefits…FITT for the Purpose Intended.
BioMicrobics…Better Water. Better World.
Certified, pre-engineered, packaged solutions as an upgrade for septic tanks to new builds for residential or commercial properties to adhere to environmental regulations.
Long-term septic system solution products and performance to maximize benefits while minimizing life-cycle costs and provide opportunities for water reuse!
Advanced wastewater treatment options that are durable, non-corrosive, and universally adaptable to provide proven advantages with unlimited possibilities.
Features which makes BioMicrobics unique:
- Leading developer and marketer of wastewater treatment brands. Led by the FAST brand, BioMicrobics has a powerful portfolio of more than 30 technologies for the treatment of residential, commercial, marine, and municipal applications of water, blackwater, greywater, and stormwater flows.
- Committed to the innovation, long-term brand investment, disciplined sales execution and focused cost management, BioMicrobics reinvests in R&D, 3-party certifications & Testing, as well as conducts many training events throughout the year.
- Through our “Better Water. Better World” philosophy and mantra, sustainability is embedded in the business and delivers value for all our Distributors and their Dealers and Clients.
- Internationally diverse, BioMicrobics has3 factory locations and a unique, well-balanced geographic footprint (in over 70 countries!) with leadership positions in both developed and developing markets.
- The passion of the BioMicrobics Team remains humble as we continue to focus on the innovation in the Water Sector.
We are honored to be considered influencers in the Water Industry that by staying true to these feature and our commitments, we create value for our communities and strive to consistently improve the impact we make on the planet.
Established in 1996, we are a global leader to provide advanced wastewater, water, greywater, and stormwater filtration treatment systems serving diverse markets. With distributors in more than 70 countries and more than 70,000 installations worldwide, we provide end-clients with high-performance technology solutions for removing 90-99.9% of contaminants from polluted blackwater and greywater sources.
Our approach is unique in the decentralized wastewater industry as it adopts a total integrated water management strategy to develop solutions that maximize benefits and minimize life-cycle costs. As a solutions-driven company, we are committed to ongoing research and development of new and improved products. Our latest award-winning products includes secondary and tertiary treatment systems such as FAST, STAAR, RollsAIR, and BioBarrier, as well as d-Rain Joint™, SaniTEE, FogHOG, LIXOR, Mighty Mike, BioSTORM, SciCHLOR, and our SciBRINE products. Our commitment to the continuous improvement of our products and services is integral to our total solutions approach.
Advanced Wastewater Treatment Systems
- Type II MSDs
- Extended Aeration
- Trickling Filter
Other Treatment & Water Recycling Systems
- Res/Comm Greywater Treatment & Reuse
- Screening Devices & GREASE/FOG Control
- Water Treatment (hypochlorite, PAA, brinemakers)
- Stormwater/Rainwater Filtration Treatment
Environmentally-Friendly Cleaners & Products
- Biodegradable Cleaners & Detergents
- Rated Marine-Safe Products
- Continuous “water-feed” Descalers
- Bacteria Augmentation/BioRemediation
- Bond-SORB™ Odor Eliminator
Through a worldwide distributor network, BioMicrobics has been recognized as a leader in exporting our decentralized equipment with a 2012 Presidential “E” Award and 2016 Presidential “E Star” Award for Excellence in Exporting. BioMicrobics recently awarded the “2017 North American Integrated Water Treatment Technology Leadership” Award from the Best Practices Team and Frost & Sullivan and received a 2017 Top 10 Green-Building Product Award from BuildingGreen, Inc. for our d-Rain Joint Device.
BioMicrobics has more 3rd party testing and technology awards than any other in the industry
BioMicrobics is a leading manufacturer of decentralized water treatment technology. BioMicrobics water, wastewater, greywater, and stormwater treatment systems provide multiple environmental benefits. Each system is designed and engineered with sustainability and user practicality in mind.
Become a Certified Distributor, Dealer, and/or Installer!
BioMicrobics conducts Training events at the Global Headquarters located in Lenexa, Kansas:
- Treatment Process of Product Line
- Design & Installation Techniques
- System Design Examples
- Septic System Best Practices
- Utilization of Website Tools
- Question & Answer Inquiries
- Technical Support
Wastewater Treatment Independent Third-Party Testing
Verification programs/locations in which BioMicrobics installed a Wastewater Treatment System for analysis of performance:
- Florida OWNRS (Onsite Wastewater Nitrogen Reduction Study) Phases I and II
- New Mexico State/New Mexico University
- University of Rhode Island
- Buzzards Bay, MA
- Ventura County, CA
- La Pine, OR
- Burnette, WA
- University of Miami, Autonomous NetZero Water
- …and more!
Wastewater Treatment Certifications & Third-Party Testing
- NSF (National Sanitation Foundation International)/ANSI Standard 40, Class 1 Certified – MicroFAST® 0.5, 0.625, 0.75, 0.9, 1.5; SeptiTech® STAAR™ 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5; and BioBarrier® MBR 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 for residential wastewater treatment systems having rated capacities between 400 gallons (1514 Liters) and 1500 gallons (5678 Liters) per day. This is demonstrated during a 6-month (26 weeks) test where wastewater of required strength is subjected to the system at the rated capacity of the system as evenly dosed at periods prescribed by the standard. The effluent criteria required of a Class I system is based on the U.S. EPA secondary effluent treatment requirements for municipal treatment facilities. The system must also meet minimum requirements for structural integrity, leakage, noise, electrical certification, access ports, failure sensing and signaling equipment (visual and audible alarms), flow design, data plate and service labels.
- NSF/ANSI Standard 245 (Nitrogen Reduction) Certified – MicroFAST® 0.5, 0.625, 0.75, 0.9, 1.5; SeptiTech® STAAR™ 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5; and BioBarrier® MBR 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 developed for residential wastewater treatment systems designed to provide for nitrogen reduction. The evaluation involves 6-months of performance testing, incorporating stress tests to simulate wash day, working parent, power outage, and vacation conditions. Technologies testing against Standard 245 must either be Standard 40 certified. A treatment system must meet the following effluent concentrations averaged over the course of the testing period in order to meet Standard 245:
- CBOD5 – 25 mg/L
- TSS – 30 mg/L
- Total Nitrogen – at least a 50% average of influent TKN
- pH – 6.0 to 9.0 SU
- NSF/ANSI tested for bacterial reduction of fecal coliform – MicroFAST® 0.5, 0.625, 0.75, 0.9, 1.5; SeptiTech® STAAR™ 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5; and BioBarrier® 0.5, 1.0, & 1.5
- NSF/ANSI Standard 350, Class R (Water Reuse) Certified (BioBarrier® 0.5, 1.0, & 1.5 and BioBarrier® 0.5-N, 1.0-N, & 1.5-N, the FIRST system to achieve this Standard!) – Developed for residential wastewater (total blackwater and greywater) treatment systems designed to provide for water reuse onsite. The evaluation involves 6-months of performance testing, incorporating stress tests to simulate wash day, working parent, power outage, and vacation conditions. With a key focus on public health and appropriate water quality criteria for reuse applications; this is the first standard of its type for comprehensive evaluation of water reuse technologies, spanning residential and commercial applications. Technologies testing against Standard 350 must meet Standard 40 and 245 prior to testing.
- EN 12566-3, PIA GmbH, Packaged and/or site assembled domestic wastewater treatment plants for up to 50 People – FITT®-ee, BioBarrier® MBR, the Prüfinstitut für Abwassertechnik GmbH (PIA GmbH) has been approved as a testing institute for small wastewater treatment plants according to the Building Products Act and is indicated in the lists of the European Union as notified body 1739.
- Compliance with Canadian National Standards and BNQ (Bureau de Normalisation du Québec) Test, Canada, Installations must comply with the Q-2, r.22 regulation in accordance with NQ 3680-910 standard
- USEPA Secondary Treatment Effluent Standards – Type II Marine Sewage Devices (MSDs) requiring 85% removal, 30 BOD5, 30 TSS secondary treatment, 3 months internal sludge storage, and derate by 10% for dilute sewage
- US EPA – ETV (US Environmental Protection Agency – Environmental Technology Verification) – RetroFAST® 0.150, 0.250, & 0.375; SeptiTech® STAAR™; and MarineFAST® (USEPA secondary – 85% removal, 30 BOD5, 30 TSS) Develops testing procedures and validates the performance of technology that may improve the protection of the environment, including water and wastewater. ETV accelerates the introduction of environmental technologies in the market, as well as monitoring and treatment technology for homeland security.
- IMO (International Maritime Organization) – MARPOL 73/78 (50 BOD5, 50 TSS, 250 fecal) and MARPOL 2010 (25 BOD5, 35 TSS, 125 COD, 100 fecal) sets international standards for seafarers’ certificates of competency to prevent danger to others on board, the marine environment and themselves.
- US Coast Guard under 33CFR159 (150 TSS, 200 fecal) for inspected vessels in US waters, may also be suitable for river, coastal or harbor service in other countries in compliance with amendments adopted by IMO. The US Coast Guard preserves the awareness among the public, marine, and environmental industries by communicating Coast Guard regulatory activities and policy guidelines for sewage regulations, piping and electrical systems to meet USCG requirements for vessels carrying crew and passengers.
- Massachusetts Title 5 Innovative and Alternative (I/A) System General Use Approval rating for Nitrogen Reduction – The first system to receive this distinction! Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MA DEP) – (FAST® <2000 GPD). This approval process requires the technology to go through extensive field testing on at least 50 systems and tested quarterly for a minimum of 3 years to show that the system can meet or exceed an effluent limit of 19 mg/L of Total Nitrogen in 90% of the systems.
- MEPC.159(55) and MEPC.227(64) – 25 mg/l BOD5, 35 mg/l TSS, 125 mg/l COD and 100 coliform/100 ml, chlorine residual < 0.5 mg/l – no dilution required. Scienco/FAST has been awarded USCG and Transport Canada certifications for MARPOL configuration FAST systems using peracetic acid (PAA) as the disinfectant. MarineFAST® units to include a PAA feeder allows units needing to meet International Maritime Organization MARPOL standards.
Other Treatment & Electrical Certifications
- ETL and RoHS Compliant – Intertek Testing Services evaluates control panels to meet the standard equivalent to the requirements set by Intertek and equivalent to UL (Underwriters Laboratories). Periodic checks are performed to assure consistent compliance of the product and in compliance with both Canadian and U.S. requirements.
- CE – European Electrical Systems (including a “Tropical Certification Rating”) The European (EN) standards by adopting universal requirements to cover all of Europe and promote the free movement of goods within Europe. When products have been shown to meet the essential requirements of the directive or EN standard the product is available for sale anywhere in the European market.
- CSA (Canadian Standards Association) Electrical Certification – CSA International and the International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI), the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), Health Canada, provincial regulators, and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to promote standards for consumer safety in North America and around the world. CSA testing is accepted by key conformity assessment organizations in the U.S. including IAPMO and ASSE. Tested and meets applicable standards for safety and/or performance, including the applicable standards written or administered by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), National Sanitation Foundation International (NSF), and others.
- PDI (Plumbing & Drainage Institute) Certified – FOGHog® Fat Oil & Grease Interceptor FH-20 & FH-50 promotes the advancement of innovative plumbing products through research, product requirements, and publicity. PDI preserves testing equipment in independent testing laboratories to assure compliance with Standard PDI-WH201 and, for grease interceptors, Standard PDI-G101.
- Quality Control Stormwater Testing Statement: BioSTORM® – ALL SIZES – Stormwater treatment system demonstrates more than 90% removal efficiency of the TSS removal capabilities with silica sand particle size distribution closer to the NJDEP sizing (current stormwater guidelines). As Stormwater regulations continue to emerge, the BioSTORM® proves to be highly effective at managing storm water runoff.
- Certified 97% biodegradable, Japan Food Research Labs, the botanical formula of Mighty Mike® Laundry Detergent, Mighty Mike® All-Purpose Cleaner, & Mighty Mike® Multi-Purpose Marine Cleaner are Rated safe for use around lakes, streams and oceans. (Also, tested by SGS Testing Labs & Clemson University School of Textiles)
Other Technology Approvals
- Australia – Australian Department of Transportation and Royal Australian Navy Technology Approval
- Canada – CGL (Canadian Great Lakes Coast Guard) – Issued by the Canadian Coast Guard, this maritime certifies that the treatment systems are approved on ships traveling in the certain bodies of water throughout the Great Lakes.
- Russia – Federal Service of Environmental Protection Technology Approval – Федеральная Служба По Надзору В Сфере Защиты Прав Потребителей И Благополучия Человка (Federal Service of Environmental Protection) Technology Approval
- Russia – CPT (Certification of Russian Standards) – BioSTORM® all sizes
- Saudi Arabia – SASO (Saudi Arabian Standards Organization) Electrical Standards The Saudi Arabian Standards Organization approves national standards and measurements for all commodities and products, methods of sampling, inspection and testing, in addition to other assignments resolved by SASO Board of Directors in the Kingdom.
- Poland – Aprobata Techniczna (Technology Approval) ze Instytut Ochrony Srodowiska (Institute of Environmental Protection)
- U.K. – United Kingdom Department of Trade Technology Approval
Recent Company and Technology Awards
- 2019 Top 10 Wastewater Management Solution Provider, Utilities Outlook Magazine
- 2017 North American “Integrated Water Treatment Technology Leadership” Award, Frost & Sullivan
- 2017 Top 10 Green Building Products, BuildingGreen, Inc.- d-Rain Joint™ Device
- 2016 Presidential “E Star” Award * 2012 President’s “E” Award for Excellence in Exports, granted by President of the United States, presented by US Dept of Commerce
- 2015 Ingenuity Award Winner, Ingenuity Central @ K-State Olathe, Ingenuity Central (IC) showcases innovative companies that exemplify the newest thinking driving our community & growing our economy.
- 2015 Innovation in Marine Environmental Technology Offshore Excellence Award, based on environmental impact with marine sanitation devices and technology.
- 2014 “BEST of GreenBuild” Editor’s Choice Award, U.S. Builder’s Review, “Creating Better Water Treatment Solutions for a Better World…“article.
- 2012 Presidential “E” Award for Excellence in Exports, granted by the U.S. President, presented by the U.S. Department of Commerce
- 2011 Kansas Governor Exporter of the Year, presented by the Governor of Kansas
- 2011 North American Technology Innovation Award (Decentralized Commercial Outlets) – Frost & Sullivan
- 2011 New Product of the Year Award (Recycling) – BioBarrier® MBR System – Environmental Protection (EPOnline)
- 2010 North American Technology Innovation Award (Water/Wastewater) – Frost & Sullivan
- 2009 Exporter of the Year Award, Environmental – ThinkGlobal / Commercial News USA (Official publication of the U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- 2009 Technology Merit Business Achievement Award, Water/Wastewater – Environmental Business Journal (EBJ)
- 2002 U.S. Export Achievement Certificate, US Dept. of Commerce, US & Foreign Commercial Service
- 2000 U.S. EPA Environmental Technology Innovator Award – U.S. EPA, Region 1 – SeptiTech® Technology
Standards for green building programs
The guidelines for most Green-Building Programs have a section for Water Efficiency the use of Innovative Wastewater Treatment Systems: Integrated Resource Management approach that controls the consumption, reduce water intensive applications, provide onsite treatment, capture/use alternate water sources (rainwater, greywater, and blackwater), and opportunities for smarter irrigation practices, etc. By providing guidelines for Water Efficiency, the incentives and adoption of onsite water recycling systems can provide the goals of better water management and sustainable building practices. Other areas that we can help satisfy are Sustainable Site points and Innovative Design:
Programs such as LEED® (USGBC and World GBC), Green Globes® (Green Building Initiative), Nabers / Green Star / Green Building Architecture (Australia), AQUA (Brazil), GBAS (China), SBToolCZ (Czech Republic), PromisE (Finland), HQE (France), DGNB / CEPHEUS (Germany), HKBEAM (Hong Kong), GRIHA (India), Greenship (Indonesia), Protocollo Itaca (Italy), CASBEE (Japan), Netherlands BREEAM (Netherlands), Green Star NZ (New Zealand), IAPGSA (Pakistan), BERDE (Philippines), Lider A / SBToolPT® (Portugal), QASA (Qatar), Green Mark (Singapore), Green Star SA (South Africa), VERDE (Spain), Minergie (Switzerland), BREEAM (United Kingdom), Estidama (United Arab Emirates), yesilbina (Turkey), TREES (Thailand), LOTUS Rating Tools (Vietnam)