At Carus Corporation we manufacture quality products to help our customers solve environmental concerns. Our vision reflects a long-term commitment to serve our customers. Carus supports Responsible Care® - an initiative that fosters involvement in the community and continuous improvement in environment, health, security, and safety. VISION: “To be a leader in providing innovative solutions to the environmental markets of water and soil remediation.” We leverage our unique technological strengths to focus on four key market platforms: Municipal, Industrial, Hazardous Remediation, and Air Purification. As we develop plans for further global expansion in these markets, we strive for continuous improvement through our Responsible Care Management System and passion for sustainable development.”
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Water and Wastewater
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
Carus Group Inc. provides innovative environmental solutions to help our customers meet or exceed their business objectives. Our mission is to excel in the markets of water treatment, air purification, and remediation by maintaining the highest ethical, professional, and environmental standards, achieving profitable growth, and continuing to earn the support of our community.
Carus was founded in 1915 by Dr. Edward Hegeler Carus, who first produced permanganate while at the University of Wisconsin. When World War I in Europe threatened supplies of potassium permanganate in the United States, Carus saw an opportunity. Today, Carus' CEO, Inga Carus, represents the third generation of the Carus family to manage the corporation.
During its history, Carus' ongoing reliance on research and development, as well as its emphasis on technical support and customer service, has enabled the company to become the world leader in permanganate, manganese, oxidation, catalyst and blended phosphate technologies.
Today, Carus Group Inc. manufactures a range of products for the municipal and industrial markets with the majority of products used in environmental applications.
As a member of the American Chemistry Council (ACC), Carus Corporation takes great pride in its commitment to Responsible Care. Responsible Care, an integral part of the ACC, has helped to improve the environment, health, safety and security of member companies as well as the communities in which they reside since its inception in 1988.
Each ACC member company agrees to follow these Responsible Care Guiding Principles:
- To lead in ethical ways that increasingly benefits society, the economy, and the environment.
- To design and develop products that can be manufactured, transported, used and disposed of or recycled safely.
- To work with customers, carriers, suppliers, distributors and contractors to foster the safe and secure use, transport and disposal of chemicals and provide hazard and risk information that can be accessed and applied in their operations and products.
- To design and operate facilities in a safe, secure and environmentally sound manner.
- To instill a culture throughout all levels of the organizations to continually identify, reduce and manage process safety risks.
- To promote pollution prevention, minimization of waste and conservation of energy and other critical resources at every stage of the life cycle of products.
- To cooperate with governments at all levels, and with organizations, in the development of effective and efficient safety, health, environmental and security laws, regulations and standards.
- To support education and research on the health, safety, environmental effects and security of products and processes.
- To communicate product, service and process risks to stakeholders and listen to and consider their perspectives.
- To make continual progress toward a goal of no accidents, injuries or harm to human health and the environment from products and operations and openly report health, safety, environmental and security performance.
- To seek continual improvement in the integrated Responsible Care Management System® to address environmental, health, safety and security performance.
- To promote Responsible Care by encouraging and assisting other companies to adhere to these Guiding Principles.
In 2013, the ACC enhanced the Responsible Care Management System® with the addition of two new codes. The Process Safety Code and the Product Safety Code of Management Principles are intended to assist member companies with effectively achieving the Responsible Care Guiding Principles.
Carus has been an active member of the ACC and product stewardship since its early inception. As an active participant, we have completed Product Stewardship summaries for the following major products:
- Potassium permanganate and sodium permanganate
- Blended phosphates Product Safety Summary
- Zinc and orthophosphates Product Safety Summary
- CARULITE® Catalysts Product Safety Summary
- Sodium Hypochlorite Product Safety Summary
As an active member of the ACC, Carus believes in going above and beyond expectations. We improve our performance by implementing world-class management practices, working with independent auditors, and tracking performance through metrics related to environment, health, safety and security. Current programs have helped us to improve our energy efficiency, and strive for continuous improvement in our daily operations, while safely handling and transporting our products globally. Carus is interested in partnering with customers on innovative solutions with regards to product safety for new products and applications.
Carus Corporation has set the following as our RCMS/EHSS policy
- To protect the environment and to assure the health, safety, and security of employees, customers, suppliers and the community in which we operate;
- To comply with all applicable environmental, health, safety, and security laws, regulations and Responsible Care ® related requirements;
- To continually improve environmental, health, safety, and security performance and pollution prevention through the development, review and achievement of annual targets and objectives; and,
- To communicate with employees, customers, and the public, and to foster open dialogue regarding our EHSS goals and performance
We’re passionate about our impact on the environment and technology, but at the end of the day, it’s really all about our people. Carus Corporation is dedicated to helping our customers and improving the environment, and we succeed because our employees know they are valued, respected and rewarded for their contributions.
Carus Corporation’s global presence offers many growth opportunities for our nearly 400 employees in our 10 locations. While we span the country from east to west and have offices in Europe, the employees of Carus Corporation are one unified team. Through our core values, we work together in an environment that is both innovative and fun to introduce new products and technologies into the marketplace and improve and expand our current product lines to meet the ever-changing needs of our environment and our customers.
Our core values are at the heart of our workplace culture.
The chemical industry is undergoing many changes, specifically in our area of environmental applications, and many needs for new technologies and products are being created. We work hard to keep employees knowledgeable about the changing environment, and we welcome ideas and suggestions that help us to remain at the forefront of technological advances, and continue to be a primary resource for our customers.
We are focused on continued growth for Carus, both through new product development and through our recent acquisitions. Carus Corporation acquired Alexander Chemical Corporation in 2010, Sierra Chemical Co. in 2011 and Pristine Water Solutions, Inc. in 2014. With our plans for continued growth in the future, it is essential for us to have the right people in the right place at the right time. Now is a great time to join our team and take advantage of the progressive career opportunities we have to offer!
A stakeholder is any individual, group or community living within the influence of a Carus Corporation site or likely to be affected by a management decision or action, or any individual, group or community likely to influence the management of the site. Carus Corporation is committed to the responsible management and actions of our business to ensure compliance with all regulatory and safety requirements, and to ensure the best interests of those most important to us – our employees, our customers and our communities.
When considering the cost of doing business, we are focused on making sure that our spending decisions are made with the future in mind. By considering our actions today, we secure our future tomorrow. Through annual budgeting and planning, we are able to meet the needs of technology upgrades, facility improvements, and other needs to grow our operations, all while remaining prudent to focus not only on today, but on our company's future for many years to come.
Education has been a core value of the Carus family and Carus Corporation for nearly 100 years. Through formal employee development and education programs, the employees of Carus are always personally and professionally growing. Employees learn through development assignments, mentor programs and through formal schooling with tuition assistance and reimbursement. Our focus on education does not stop with our employees. Each year, Carus Corporation sponsors a local summer Science Camp that teaches 5th grade students the value of science and its application in their everyday life. We also participate in the Chemical Industry Council’s National Chemistry Week, although we expand it to 3 weeks to meet the needs of our many requests for chemistry demonstrations. During these 3 weeks, volunteer employees leave their daily jobs to visit local schools and demonstrate the wonder of science and chemistry through experiments for students of all ages.
As we near our 100th anniversary, we have a lot to be proud of! None of our growth and accomplishments would be possible without our employees. From birthdays, anniversaries and retirements, we always have something to celebrate. We have annual employee recognition ceremonies during which we give awards for Volunteer of the Year, Outstanding Achievement, and our Chairman’s Award. Throughout the year, we celebrate our special milestones such as safety achievements, manufacturing achievements, industry awards and national awards. Our Quarter Century Club is growing each year. This special club is for employees and retirees with over 25 years of service. Currently at 80 members, consisting of 38 retirees and 42 current employees, our Quarter Century Club always has room for more!
Our employees are principled and can be counted on to work responsibly for the benefit of our company, our employees, our customers, and our community. Through our shared commitment and responsibility, we are able to form strong working teams that can be counted on to deliver results.