Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
CIEEM is the leading professional membership body representing and supporting ecologists and environmental managers in the UK, Ireland and abroad. Our Vision is of a society which values the natural environment and recognises the contribution of professional ecologists and environmental managers to its conservation.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Professional association
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Internationally (various countries)
- Year Founded:
Established in 1991 and receiving our Royal Charter in 2013, we have members drawn from across the employment sectors including local authorities, government agencies, NGOs, environmental consultancy, academia and industry. The diversity of our membership is our greatest strength, enabling us to take an integrated and holistic approach to furthering the management and enhancement of biodiversity and the ecological processes essential to a fully functional biosphere.
We work to advance the understanding and standards of practice of ecological and environmental management for the benefit of the natural environment and society.
In order to achieve our mission, CIEEM engages in a wide range of activities. These include:
- Establishing and upholding standards of professional competence and conduct of those who practise ecological and environmental management as a profession;
- Promoting the sharing of best practice through publications, networking and awards;
- Supporting continuing professional development (CPD) through the provision of training and conferences;
- Being an influential voice for the sector by advising governments on policy and practice in relation to management of the natural environment; and
- Promoting an integrated inter-disciplinary approach to sustainable management of the natural environment.
Our work is underpinned by a commitment to manage our own activities to minimise our impact on the environment (CIEEM Environmental Policy >>) and to promote equality of opportunity for our members and those who work with us (CIEEM Equal Opportunities Policy >>).