Crystal IS, Inc. - an Asahi Kasei company
Crystal IS, an Asahi Kasei company, is an innovative U.S.-based manufacturer of proprietary, high-performance deep UV (UVC) LEDs. Our products are used for disinfection in a variety of applications, including healthcare, industrial and point-of-use (POU) water purification. Crystal IS UVC LEDs are also used in scientific and industrial instruments to measure the quality of water, air, and biological samples. The performance and design flexibility that we provide brings new possibilities for our customers to create products that enhance and sustain life. Through our partnership with these customers, we are transforming purification and monitoring processes around the world.
A Leading Manufacturer of Deep UV (UVC) LEDs
Crystal IS, an Asahi Kasei company, is a U.S.-based manufacturer of high-performance LEDs that emit UV light. These LEDs are integrated into our customers’ products to sterilize and disinfect water, air and surfaces in a variety of applications. Additionally, our LEDs can be used as light sources for scientific and industrial instrumentation applications.
Crystal IS was founded in 1997 by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) professors, Leo Schowalter and Glen Slack to develop native aluminum nitride (AlN) substrate technology for more powerful and reliable semiconductor devices.
Today, our award-winning technology provides the industry’s highest performing ultraviolet (UVC) LEDs.
As the leading developers of the most effective UVC LEDs in the industry, our breakthrough performance is made possible by our low-defect density, single crystal aluminum nitride (AIN) substrates and our proprietary-technology for crystal growth.
Our UVC LEDs have demonstrated:
- Industry-leading power output of over 30 mW
- Drive currents up to 600 mA
- Superior spectral quality
- 2018: Klaran WD series LEDs break the $0.25/mW cost barrier in point-of-use water disinfection
- 2017: Crystal IS celebrates 20 years of making aluminum nitride substrates
- 2016: Launched Klaran, our high powered UVC LEDs for disinfection applications
- 2015: Achieved ISO 9001:2008 Registration
- 2014: Launched Optan, the first commercial semiconductor based on native Aluminum Nitride (AIN) substrates, for the instrumentation market
- 2013: Honored with Disrupt-o-Meter™ Award from BlueTech Research. Crystal IS was selected for the water sector award honoring innovative, industry-revolutionizing technology.
- 2013: Recorded 66 mW (CW) light output from a 260 nm LED operated in continuous mode
- 2011: Acquired by Asahi Kasei
- 2011: Reported optical output from a single chip at 260 nm (9 mW CW, 100 mW pulsed mode)
- 2010: Awarded grant from Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for the development of UVC LEDs
- 2010: Asahi Kasei invested in Crystal IS for joint development of AlN substrates
- 2010: Demonstrated 5 mW UVC light output in continuous wave (CW) mode
- 2006: Released the world’s first 2-inch single-crystal AlN substrate, cut from a bulk boule
- 2004: Received award from the NIST Advanced Technology Program (ATP) to develop 2-inch AlN substrate
- 2004: Raised over $25M of venture capital investment, beginning in 2004
- 2003: Commercialization of 12 mm AlN substrates with ultra-low dislocation (defect) density
At Crystal IS, we are privileged to be part of the Asahi Kasei family. The company tradition of generating value for society through creative innovation is at the core of what we do.