Elhuyar Foundation is a non-profit making body, receiving contributions from members who support its aims. Our labour is to try to gel with the public at large and, to this end, the Foundation brings together a number of different social players: businesses, public bodies and individuals. Elhuyar Foundation is an Intermediary Innovation Body within the Basque Network of Science, Technology and Innovation (SARETEK).
What is Basque Research?
Basque Research is the web site for scientific and technological research being carried out in the Basque Country. Through publishing this kind of information, Basque Research wishes to act as a bridge between researchers and society at large.
What are our objectives?
- To promote creation, development and innovation in science and technology.
- To foment coordination between the various elements of the Basque Science and Technology Network in the Basque Country.
- To boost technology transfer.
- To publish and disseminate Basque research, development and innovation at an international level.
Basque Research arose as an initiative of the Elhuyar Foundation, with help from the 2001-2004 Basque Government Science and Technology Plan.
ELHUYAR is an association that was formed in 1972 to bring together science and the Basque language. In order to consolidate this goal, we created the Elhuyar Foundation in 2002.
During the IV Strategic Rethink, undertaken for the 2006-2009 period, the following mission statement was adopted:
To socialise Science and Technology and to boost the development of the Basque language, Euskara. Ton this end, to provide Basque society with quality services, tool and resources, with innovation as the pivot, and with a commitment to education.
Currently Elhuyar Fundazioa has three departments, with the following goals:
- Publications: creation and/or publication of educational and games materials (books, multimedia, products for the Internet)
- Linguistic services: resources, tools and language services for the development and normalisation of the Basque language (lexicography, translations, software locations; language consultancy, language correction, R+D+i in the area of language technologies)
- Scientific Communication: socialisation of science and technology and of services and resources aimed at encouraging interest.
From the beginning, one of the prime tasks for the Elhuyar Foundation was the socialisation of science and technology; getting across to the Basque public science and technology news from anywhere and giving information about what is being done in these fields both within the Basque Country and outside. This goal is being carried out today in the Department of Scientific Communication and our mission statement is: socialising science and technology and providing resources and services to spark interest in these.
This task has produced many positive results amongst which the most significant current ones are:
- Monthly scientific journal, Elhuyar Zientzia eta Teknologia
- Zientzia.net, science web site
- ZerNola.net, science web site for young people
- Basqueresearch.com, science web site for Basque research, development & innovation
- Teknopolis television programme
- Norteko Ferrokarrilla radio programme
- Collaborations with a number of communications media
- CAF-Elhuyar awards for scientific publication
We also provide specialised external services, based on the experience and knowledge we have of publishing and dissemination of scientific and technological matters.