HTWK Leipzig is Saxony’s largest University of Applied Sciences and one of the largest in Germany. For more than two hundred years, the University and its predecessors have been providing high-quality, career-relevant education in a diverse range of fields through innovative courses, excellent teaching and state-of the art facilities. Based in the trade fair city of Leipzig, we are committed to forging partnerships with industry and government to deliver practical results through focused research. With a campus located right in the heart of Leipzig’s most popular student neighbourhood, students at HTWK Leipzig may enjoy an ideal combination of outstanding academics and vibrant student life.
The University of Applied Sciences Leipzig (HTWK Leipzig) is one of the leading institutions of higher education in Saxony, Germany, and is establishing itself as one of Europe’s major educational centres. A long tradition of engineering, business and cultural sciences are the foundation for the special combination of diverse interdisciplinary courses of study offered at HTWK Leipzig. Students, professors and university staff alike are partners in scientific education and research at HTWK Leipzig. Our graduates are responsible, conscientious contributors to the professional world and to society. This is achieved through an educational process based on applied scientific research and teaching, and competency fuelled by lifelong learning. HTWK Leipzig’s principle of creating collaborative networks sets the framework for achieving our strategic objectives. Our main fields of activity are as follows.
Interdisciplinary teaching and research, and systematic cooperation with our partners from science, business, administration and culture, are cornerstones of HTWK Leipzig. We create innovative study programmes with a practical focus, developing our course offerings to meet the dynamic demands of today’s changing society.
HTWK Leipzig is an innovative partner for enterprises, administration and culture, providing impetus for initiatives in the community and the region, while serving as a centre of engineering competence for Leipzig and the surrounding area. As a centre of quality academic learning for the region, we support all levels of education from early childhood learning to continuing education and lifelong learning.
The strategic development of international relationships is a key principle for our globally-oriented university. HTWK Leipzig promotes intercultural competence for all university staff and students, and actively supports the mobility of our students through a variety of international study programmes. Our professors and staff participate in a wide array of opportunities to develop and expand international research and teaching cooperation.
Our university is designed as a dynamic centre for communication and learning. Alumni, emeriti and former staff members maintain long-lasting ties with our alma mater. We attain integration and equality, with special consideration given to our international students, families and those with disabilities or other special needs. Our working together in socially responsible partnerships includes the active promotion of a strong sense of identification, motivation and accomplishment.
We are actively committed to making the diverse, multi-networked HTWK Leipzig one of Europe’s top universities of applied sciences.
HTWK Leipzig was founded on 15 July 1992. The University's roots, however, extend as far back as 1764, when its earliest predecessor, the Academy of Painting, Drawing and Architecture, was established. The Academy was the first in a long tradition of technical institutes and schools for librarians, book traders and museologists that make up HTWK Leipzig’s institutional and intellectual ancestry, reflecting Leipzig's reputation as a city of books and its ongoing importance as one of Germany's major centres of trade and commerce.
The University's most recent precursors include Leipzig Technical University (Technische Hochschule Leipzig), which itself was formed in 1977 by a merger of the Leipzig School of Civil Engineering (Hochschule für Bauwesen Leipzig) and the Leipzig School of Engineering (Ingenieurhochschule Leipzig). Some of HTWK Leipzig's older roots, which laid the foundation for technical education in Leipzig, are highlighted below.
Leipzig Academy ofainting, Drawing And Architecture
The Leipzig Academy of Painting, Drawing and Architecture (Zeichnungs-, Mahlerey- und Architektur-Academie zu Leipzig) opened its doors in 1764. The painter Adam Friedrich Oeser, best remembered today as Goethe’s drawing teacher, served as the Academy's first director. The architecture department was headed by J.P. Habersang, whose academic approach involved the practical application of insights from mathematics and science. With the introduction of a degree programme in architecture at HTWK Leipzig two centuries later, architecture education in Leipzig has nicely come full circle.
Royal Saxon School ofConstruction
From 1823 onwards, the architecture department was lead by architect and builder Albert Geutebrück. Based on his plans, the Royal Saxon School of Construction (Königlich-Sächsische Baugewerkeschule) was founded on 13 July 1838 in Leipzig, and Geutebrück was appointed its first director. Alfred Geutebrück, who was also the city's master architect, identified the need for enhancing the training of architects and builders with an academic orientation. From 1876 to 1881, architect Constantin Lipsius, best known today for his controversial design of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts and Exhibition Building in Dresden, served as the school's director. With their designs and buildings, the School of Construction’s professors left the city of Leipzig with many reminders of their work. For more than 60 years, the Academy and the School of Construction shared the same facilities and resources.
Leipzig Municipal Trade School
In 1875, Academy professor Ludwig Nieper established the Leipzig Municipal Trade School (Städtische Gewerbeschule zu Leipzig), which became the foundation of engineering education in mechanical and electrical engineering. Its establishment was based on the realization that traders and business persons needed profound technical training in addition to general higher education. The Trade School, therefore, in combination with a craft workshop, was designed to provide technical instruction based on practical training in the crafts.
From 1877 through 1892, August Föppl was one of the trade school’s important teachers. His theoretical explorations of technical processes were groundbreaking achievements, informed by observations from engineering practice and experimental findings. His six-volume Lectures on Technical Mechanics was published in Leipzig between 1898 and 1910. Föppl is also known for his influential introduction to Maxwell's theory of electricity and for his calculations of the cast-iron truss constructions supporting the roof of Leipzig's covered market hall.
More information on the history of HTWK Leipzig, especially regarding its evolution as a training institution for booksellers and librarians and its reconstitution as Leipzig Technical University, is available in a variety of print publications. Since 1954, these institutions of higher learning have produced more than 16,000 Diplom engineers and more than 1,200 PhDs in engineering.