Industrial Scientific Corporation is a global leader in designing, manufacturing, selling and servicing portable gas detectors. With continuous improvements in engineering and R&D, lean manufacturing operations and expanded service capabilities, Industrial Scientific is widely known for providing rugged, dependable products that excel in monitoring hazardous gases in the most demanding work environments in the world. Employing over 800 people, Industrial Scientific has manufacturing operations based in Pittsburgh (USA), Arras (France), Dortmund (Germany) and Shanghai (China), provides technical services to customers from local service centers around the world, and has additional subsidiaries in Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Dubai, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Singapore, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Preserving human life on, above and below the earth . Delivering highest quality, best customer service... every transaction, every time
Our VisionIndustrial Scientific people are dedicating their careers to eliminating death on the job by the year 2050.
Achievable? We believe so. We know in hindsight that every accident was preventable. Thus, we think they are all ultimately predictable.
Providing great products and services is not enough. We are committed to arming our customers with data that give them control over all risks in their operations. This data, known as leading indicators, helps them to see problems before they happen. It gives customers the opportunity to make changes and save lives. We have pioneered this concept in gas detectors with iNet. Our sister company, Predictive Solutions, is doing the same with safety observations and inspections.
When customers have data that includes safety equipment and human behavior, they are better equipped to eliminate death in their workplaces. We’re here to support them in this effort. We serve with humility, hunger and honesty. We strive to deliver the highest quality, best customer service … every transaction, every time.
This is what you can expect from a company with such an ambitious Vision.
Humble, hungry and smart. Seek truth; speak truth. Serving others is our greatest joy.
Our Way is a set of core values that guide our decisions and interactions. It represents the high standards that we hold for ourselves. And, it tells customers and partners what they can expect from every interaction.
This is how our people deliver the highest quality, best customer service … every transaction, every time.
Be humble. >>
- Recognize others’ talents.
- Understate your achievements and give recognition to others.
- Listen! Seek to understand before trying to be understood.
- Respect other cultures and individuals.
- Take responsibility.
- Accept correction and don’t be afraid to admit errors.
Be hungry. >>
- Have an agenda!
- Work with a sense of urgency.
- Align your actions to goals.
- Be prepared … be disciplined … be resourceful.
- Expect results from those you work with. Hold others to high standards. Don’t accept poor work.
- Expect to win.
- Work hard.
- Exceed expectations.
- Seek continuous improvement.
- Ask tough questions.
Be smart. >>
- Find solutions to challenging problems.
- Be creative, curious and alert.
- Do the basics well.
- Seek opportunities to learn.
- Use resources effectively and efficiently.
- Anticipate the future state.
- Ask questions.
- Sweat the details.
Seek truth. >>
- Question assumptions.
- Don’t jump to conclusions.
- Communicate … communicate … communicate!
- Face-to-face is better than voice-to-voice. Voice to voice is better than e-mail. Buy a plane ticket. Pick up the phone. You’ll learn something new – guaranteed.
Speak truth. >>
- Bring and use meaningful data.
- Don’t be afraid to deliver the hard message.
- It’s OK, even good, to disagree. It’s not good to be disagreeable.
Serving others is our greatest joy. >>
- Seek opportunities to serve.
- Answer the phone on the first ring.
- Clean your inbox daily. Keep your message box clear. Value speed in transactions with others.
- Go the extra mile.
- Recognize others who serve you well and comment on it.
- Leave things better than you found them.
A company that preserves human life should also protect the environment
The two ideas fit well together. By protecting the environment, we protect the quality of human health. For us, it’s not enough to just comply with regulations. We want to reduce our impact on the environment by exceeding requirements, raising our own standards, and improving our practices.
Our European headquarters has emerged as a leader in “green” thinking. In February 2009, we achieved certification to this ISO standard. The standard focuses on how a company manages its impact on the environment; and how it improves its performance.
This validated our commitment to “green” initiatives and corporate responsibility. But, it was just the beginning. Now, these ideas extend to all areas of our company. We’re also committed to improving the way we do things. We developed a complete process for setting environmental objectives and targets. And, we have implemented a broad policy regarding our practices.
Industrial Scientific Corporation will proactively seek out materials, processes and practices that are environmentally responsible. This policy establishes our company’s commitment to:
- Reduce waste and prevent pollution
- Comply with all applicable laws and requirements
- Continually improve our environmental management system through our company’s environmental objectives and targets.