IPIECA is the global oil and gas industry association for advancing environmental and social performance. We have been championing good practice for 45 years. IPIECA develops, shares and promotes good practice and knowledge to help the industry and improve its environmental and social performance. We do this with the understanding that the issues that dominate the sustainable development agenda – climate and energy, environmental and social issues – are too big for individual companies to tackle alone. The industry must work together to achieve improvements that have real impact. IPIECA helps to achieve this goal. IPIECA is a not for profit association that provides a forum for encouraging continuous improvement in industry performance. IPIECA is the only global association involving both the upstream and downstream oil and gas industry. It is also the industry’s principal channel of communication with the United Nations.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Professional association
- Industry Type:
- Oil, Gas & Refineries
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
To advance the oil and gas industry's environmental and social performance and contribution to the energy transition in the context of sustainable development.
- Developing, sharing and promoting good practices and solutions.
- Enhancing and communicating knowledge and understanding.
- Engaging members and others in the industry.
- Working in partnership with key stakeholders.
IPIECA 2021-2024 strategy
Throughout 2020, the Executive Committee led a strategic review towards the development of IPIECA’s 2021-2024 strategy, as part of IPIECA’s four-year strategic plan cycle. Feedback and advice from members and key external stakeholders was sought on IPIECA’s vision and mission, IPIECA’s role in the energy transition, key priorities for the oil and gas industry, and the future of IPIECA. This was achieved through surveys, a dialogue with nine external stakeholders, and a stakeholder panel on the energy transition.
The resulting 2021-2024 strategy focuses on supporting our members on their pathways to a low-emissions future while also showcasing how they are contributing to a healthier, more prosperous world.
IPIECA cares about nature, people, climate and sustainability.
We will provide leadership for advancing environmental and social performance, climate action and mainstreaming sustainability by:
- Anticipating - challenges for the industry through increased focus on scanning and assessing emerging issues and developing actions
- Enabling - the industry to improve its environmental and social performance through greater quality, depth and uptake of good practice
- Informing - global policy and external stakeholders pro-actively and credibly on environmental and social issues and the industry’s contribution to sustainable development
Although many of the issues addressed by IPIECA are interdependent, they can be grouped into key themes. This segmentation by thematic strategies enables IPIECA to convene and utilise specific expertise from within our membership and stakeholders, as well as address issues in a holistic and integrated way.
To enable IPIECA members to advance protection of the natural environment, minimise and mitigate risks and impacts from operations and products.
- Lead the engagement with UN agencies (UNEP, UNCBD) and other stakeholders to support international progress on biodiversity, natural capital, water and air quality
- Further industry expertise and good practice to advance efficient use of natural resources
- Leverage member expertise and collaborate with external stakeholders to enable companies to address local and global risks and opportunities associated with climate change such as nature based solutions
- Convene the industry to identify and promote good practices in operations, joint ventures and the supply chain
- Facilitate environmental good practice across the energy transition
- Develop and disseminate good practices to enable the industry and stakeholders to enhance oil spill preparedness and response globally in support of mitigating environmental and social impacts
To provide global leadership on the interaction between the industry, people and communities through social performance, respect for human rights, health and promotion of IPIECA members contribution to social and economic development.
- Promote high standards and good practice aligned with the United Nations Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights
- Convene the industry to advance social performance along the supply chain
- Lead industry collaboration and engagement with UN agencies and other stakeholders on the just transition
In a world aspiring to a net-zero future, advance IPIECA members’ contribution to the pathways to a resilient low emissions future and uphold IPIECA’s position as part of the international dialogue on the energy transition.
- Lead the engagement on behalf of the membership with the United Nations, including participation in the UNFCCC, IPCC, UNEP, ICAO and dialogue with key stakeholders in support of the Paris Agreement
- Convene the industry to enable emissions reductions and a positive contribution to the energy transition and the provision of clean, affordable energy through development of good practices and solutions
- Collaborate with stakeholders including other sectors to explore and enable low emission pathways and scale up solutions
IPIECA will provide leadership for the oil and gas industry by:
- Bringing the sector together to explore, articulate and mobilise the oil and gas industry to align its contribution to the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Playing a role for members in relation to the energy transition. This will build on IPIECA’s heritage in convening the global oil and gas industry on environmental and social issues, and its relationship with United Nations and other key stakeholders:
- Leverage the breadth of IPIECA to support environmental and social good practice throughout the energy transition
- Increase IPIECA’s level of engagement on the energy transition
- Enabling companies to improve the quality and consistency of their non-financial reporting and encouraging uptake of reporting across the industry
- Helping members manage sustainability risks in the supply chain to improve contractor and supplier performance
Transparent and open dialogue with stakeholders helps guide IPIECA's activities. Stakeholder engagement informs its work programme and ensures that its activities reflect key sustainability issues for the industry, as well as the views of stakeholders. We are consulting with stakeholders as part of the current strategic review cycle.
IPIECA convened a virtual stakeholder dialogue on 31 March 2020 with nine external stakeholders, drawn from civil society, academia and financial institutions, and ten IPIECA Executive Committee members.
The dialogue focused on stakeholders’ views on:
- IPIECA’s potential role in the energy transition;
- principles to be included within the IPIECA Vision;
- priorities and strategies for IPIECA focus areas; and
- how to effectively engage with stakeholders going forward.
IPIECA was established following a request from the then newly established United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in 1974, for the oil and gas industry to form channels of communication with UNEP. IPIECA remains the primary channel of communication and representative of the global oil and gas industry with UNEP and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). IPIECA's consultative status has allowed it to build strong partnerships with a number of UN organizations including, the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the United Nations Working Group on Human Rights, and the United Nations Development Programme.
IPIECA has also built partnerships with many stakeholders and facilitates the oil and gas industry's relationships with inter-governmental organizations, academia and NGOs. Moving forward IPIECA and its members will continue to forge alliances and form partnerships with key organizations.