Itasca International, Inc
Itasca is a global, employee-owned, engineering consulting and software firm, working primarily with the geomechanics, hydrogeological and microseismics communities. We solve problems in many industries including mining, civil engineering, oil & gas, manufacturing and power generation. Over a history spanning 30 years, Itasca has developed into a firm offering integrated engineering consulting services and software to clients worldwide.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Software vendor
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
Itasca is a company whose combined knowledge and experience in geomechanics, hydrogeology and microseismicity extends over thirty eight years. Itasca offers services and software for engineering industries where solutions to problems rely on unique integrated experience in rock behavior processes.
Below is a timeline of the development Itasca and milestones in its history.Itasca Chronology
- 2014 Itasca Perú is founded in Lima, Perú. Itasca Calgary is founded in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Based out of Itasca Calgary and in conjunction with Itasca Houston and ASC (UK), a new initiative to provide comprehensive fracture network engineering for unconventional reservoirs is established.
- 2013 Itasca hosts the Third FLAC/DEM Symposium in Hangzhou, China.
- 2011 Itasca hosts the Second FLAC/DEM Symposium in Melbourne, Australia.
- 2010 Itasca India Consulting Pvt. Ltd. is formed in Nagpur, India. Itasca Consultants AB is formed in Luleå, Sweden.
- 2009 The parent company HCItasca is renamed Itasca International Inc. Itasca International Inc. acquires Applied Seisomology Consultants (ASC), adding its world-leading expertise in miscroseismics to the Itasca portfolio of services.
- 2008 HCItasca hosts the First FLAC/DEM Symposium in Minneapolis. The symposium is the first-ever presentation of all Itasca software in one gathering.
- 2007 Itasca Houston, Inc. and Itasca Australia Pty Ltd are founded in Houston, Texas and Richmond, Australia, respectively.
- 2006 Itasca Consulting Group, Inc. Japan Office, Research Center is founded in Shizuoka, Japan.
- 2004 Itasca Consulting China Ltd. is founded in Wuhan, China.
- 2002 FLAC/Slope is first released.
- 1999 Itasca Consulting Canada Inc. is founded in Sudbury as a result of a merger between independent consultant Richard Brummer Associates and Itasca. A new parent company named HCItasca is formed as a merger between the Itasca companies and Hydrologic Consultants Inc. of Colorado.
- 1996 Itasca Consultores, S.L. is founded in Oviedo, Spain, by Dr. Pedro Varona.
- 1994 Itasca Africa Pty., Ltd. is founded in Johannesburg, South Africa; FLAC is licensed to over 1,000 users worldwide; FLAC3D, PFC2D, and PFC3D are first released.
- 1993 Itasca S.A. is founded in Santiago, Chile.
- 1991 Itasca Consultants, S.A.S. is founded in Lyon, France by Dr. Daniel Billaux.
- 1989 Hydrologic Consultants, Inc. is founded in Denver as an employee-owned consulting firm specializing in environmental and mining hydrology.
- 1988 Itasca Geomechanic AB is founded by Magnus Bergman in Stockholm, Sweden, becoming the second Itasca office; 3DEC is first released.
- 1986 FLAC is first released.
- 1984 UDEC becomes first numerical modeling code made commercially available from Itasca.
- 1981 Itasca Consulting Group, Inc. founded by faculty members of the Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering at the University of Minnesota (Dr. Charles Fairhurst, Dr. Peter Cundall, Dr. Barry Brady, Dr. Tony Starfield, Dr. Ray Sterling) to provide services in rock mechanics, numerical modeling of geotechnical environments, and underground space use.
The Core Values of a company are the essential and enduring tenets of the organization articulated as a succinct list. Core values are what we stand for. Core values are a small set of timeless guiding principles taken to heart by the members and leadership of the organization. Core values require no external justification; they have intrinsic value and importance to those inside the organization. Note that a company may have operating practices and business strategies around certain qualities, without having them at the essence of their being. Companies that are successful have core values that remain fixed while their business strategies and practices may change to adapt to market conditions.
Vision provides guidance about what core to preserve and what future to stimulate progress toward.Itasca Core Values
Itasca is guided by the following strong core values.
Uncompromising attention to quality - We hold ourselves to the highest standards of quality in our products, services and professional interactions. We recognize that quality stems from attention to detail coupled with honesty, fairness and transparency. We thus provide comprehensive depictions of underlying procedures and algorithms in our software and reports. Our focus on quality results in the highest level of service and support to our clients. Quantity related objectives will always remain subsidiary to the paramount goal of quality.
Passion for learning and innovation - We specialize in addressing complex engineering problems from first principles. We bring passion to our work. We are inquisitive. We enjoy learning and addressing unsolved problems based on a deep and sound understanding of the controlling mechanisms. Innovation keeps us at the cutting-edge of science and technology.
Shared responsibility for our business - Itasca is committed to remaining an employee-owned company that identifies its employees as the essential component in the value it offers clients. As employees and owners, we share in the responsibility of taking the initiative to drive our company into the future. We do this through employee development and growth, through responsiveness to and promotion of employee talents and capabilities, and through providing an open, collegial and productive working atmosphere to ensure that each employee’s voice can be heard.Itasca Vision
Through Itasca’s commitment to our clients and employees we aim to build a group of technical experts that are unparalleled in the world and that work as a team across borders, cultures and disciplines. Our goal is to make the name Itasca synonymous with technical excellence in Earth Engineering: when a client has a difficult problem to solve in this area, the first name they think of is Itasca. Through our research, expertise and leadership, we will improve the state of practice in our field by transferring sophisticated developments into full effective practical use.Environment and Sustainability
Itasca strives to deliver functional, actionable, and long-term sustainable solutions from an environmental and societal perspective. A good working procedure satisfies both technical aspects and the environmental demands of the client and all stakeholders with consideration to long-term sustainable social development. This means consideration of the surrounding environment during both execution and operation of a proposed solution, but also the influences on local society, working environment, and social interaction. Within projects, Itasca internally works for sustainable resource utilization through efficient travel, virtual meetings, and electronic document management. We always consider alternatives that minimize environmental impact in our work with clients. This includes both actions on our sides (e.g., travel alternatives) and on the client side (different choice of methods and/or technologies that may reduce environmental impact). Itasca also follows 'The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact', concerning human rights, labor, environment, and anti-corruption.