Land & Marine is a wholly owned subsidiary of J Murphy & Sons Limited, a key support services company operating in the utilities, marine, civil engineering and energy sectors across the UK and internationally. Land & Marine has a wide business portfolio that includes engineering and consultancy, storage tanks, aviation fuel mains and hydrants, specialist welding, fabrication and trenchless technology as well as our traditional marine business. We are an innovative company and our flexible approach to working with our clients enables us to provide optimum solutions. The company is large enough to undertake substantial projects whilst retaining an intimate client contractor relationship. We develop techniques and equipment to suit the task in hand and with a long and impressive history of successful projects behind us, we are always looking to build on this experience.
Based in North West England, Land and Marine Engineering Limited operates in the oil, gas, water, energy and process markets.
Our multi-disciplined staff can provide you with an extensive range of engineering and construction capabilities for marine pipelines, storage tanks, specialist marine operations trenchless technology, and in civil engineering for refurbishment of aqueducts and large diameter trunk mains.
- Established in the UK in 1953 for the installation of marine pipelines, reclamation work and outfalls. Land & Marine was part of the Boskalis Group.
- Expanded in the 1960s to meet the needs of the oil and gas industry in the UK and overseas.
- Expanded our offshore capabilities in the early 1980s adding post-lay pipeline ploughing.
- In the mid 1980s, became the first UK contractor to offer horizontal directional drilling services.
- Joined the Costain Group in 1984. Expanded into the flowline bundle market in 1990.
- Joined the Smit Group in 1996. Developed Flow-Lay® in 2001.
- Joined Daniel Contractors Ltd in 2002.
- Acquired Alfred McAlpine Marine Pipeline Division in 2003.
- Acquired Walter Lawrence in March 2005.
- Acquired the McTay tank division from Mowlem Engineering in February 2006.
- Acquired Avoidatrench from Pochin in July 2006.
- Acquired Stork Protech Limited in December 2008, a multi‑discipline engineering design consultancy serving the oil, gas, nuclear and general process industries.
- Acquired the assets of Haigh Pettican Limited (HPL) in July 2009, strengthening our in‑house mechanical fabrication capabilities.
- Joined J Murphy & Sons Limited, May 2013