Lee International helps organizations benefit strategically and financially from emissions trading schemes with a focus on Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) projects in developing countries. The firm provides a full complement of legal, regulatory and advisory services connecting sellers in Brazil, South Africa and China with buyers in Canada, EU and Japan, while monitoring emerging carbon trading programs in the United States.
Lee International Business Development was founded by Attorney Catherine Lee, after a successful 16-year career in the law. Since 1997, as managing director of Lee International, she has been delivering services to public- and private-sector clients in South Africa, Brazil, Canada and the United States.
Noteworthy projects include:
- Advisory services to major metropolitan areas developing CDM and energy projects.
- Advisory services for 18 months to states in the RGGI program.
- Advisory services to model energy efficiency-based carbon trading program for state housing authorities in USA.
- Reports on opportunities for Clean Development Mechanism project development under the Kyoto Protocol.
- Pre-feasibility studies and evaluation of landfill sites for Clean Development Mechanism Projects Development.
- Development and implementation of processes to identify and evaluate qualified buyers of carbon credits for Clean Development Mechanism Projects in Southern Africa.
- Overseeing contract negotiations for Clean Development Mechanism projects.
- Drafting and review of numerous emission reduction purchase agreements.
- Securing funding and coordinating a 30-year waste management plan for Cape Town, South Africa.
- Evaluation of hazardous waste technologies and their applicability in developing countries.
- Review and evaluation of service delivery contracts for major African city on behalf of the World Bank.
- Development of municipal bylaws in South Africa for major metropolitan areas.
- Assessment of public-private partnerships for delivery of waste services for the Development Bank of Southern Africa and major metropolitan areas.
- Consulting services related to public-private partnerships, the development of municipal service delivery mechanisms and regulatory frameworks, municipal ordinances and licensing schemes for waste management.
- Litigation support for non-US companies with legal needs in the US.