Makai Ocean Engineering was founded in 1973 as a diversified ocean engineering company focused on providing design engineering and development services to a broad range of clientele both foreign and domestic. Practice areas include engineering for ocean based renewable energy (OTEC and SWAC), large underwater pipelines, software for planning, simulation, installation and recovery of submarine cables and arrays, and software for visualizing scientific 4D/5D data. Makai Ocean Engineering takes pride in its extensive record of success in achieving innovative solutions to difficult problems for its partners and clients and continues to serve leading industrial and commercial firms as well as federal, state and local governments worldwide. Makai has maintained the highest caliber of quality engineering services because of an uncompromising selection of talented engineers in various disciplines.
- Business Type:
- Engineering service provider
- Industry Type:
- Hydro Power
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
Makai Ocean Engineering was founded in 1973 as a diversified ocean engineering company providing services in Hawaii and the Pacific. Today, Makai has expanded their services to include an international clientele focusing on engineering for renewable energy (OTEC and SWAC), large ocean pipelines, software for the planning, simulation, installation and recovery of submarine cables and arrays, and software for visualizing scientific 4D/5D data.
Makai takes pride in successfully achieving innovative solutions to difficult problems for a broad base of clientele which has included private, industrial and commercial firms nationally and internationally; federal, state and local governments and Pacific Island Nations. Makai employs people who have the experience, education and attitudes needed for success in the demanding ocean environment. Six registered Professional Engineers (mechanical, structural or civil) are on staff and a majority of Makai employees have post-graduate degrees. Many have significant at-sea experience and are Scuba qualified.
Our office is located on the end of Makai Research Pier at Makapuu Point, Oahu, Hawaii. Multiple facets of Makai's work, from engineering analysis and software development, to in-situ testing are conducted at the pier. Our facilities include:
- Windows, Macintosh and UNIX computer facilities for analysis, program development, modeling, and reporting.
- Engineering design office with reference library, CAD, testing facilities, design software (SolidWorks, ANSYS, AutoCAD, Orcaflex, WAMIT, FEA, Hydraulic Modeling, Data Acquisition) and fabrication shop.
- Advanced high-speed communications and database connections for research.
- Access to the PISCES IV and V manned submersibles (capable of 2000 m depth) operated by the Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory (HURL) headquartered at Makai Pier.
- Cost-effective availability for surface and underwater testing either in the harbor or offshore, where depths of l,500' are within four miles. 18,000' depths are accessible in a few hours by moderate-sized research ships. Makai Pier can accommodate ships up to 16' draft.