Water analysis technologies that protect lives and the environment, facilitate regulatory compliance and optimise industrial processes. Palintest is a leading company in the design and manufacture of water analysis technologies, supplying a comprehensive range of precision instruments for multidisciplinary analysis.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Water and Wastewater - Water Monitoring and Testing
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
Backed by over 70 years of research, our assured technologies are used in over 100 countries and across a variety of applications to protect lives and the environment, assist with regulatory compliance, and facilitate system optimisation.
Our firm commitment to product development means we’re continually evaluating new and existing technologies to make improvements to the way we operate. Over the years we have developed a number of market firsts and we continue to push the boundaries of innovation, enabling our customers to make critical decisions with confidence.
Palintest can trace our origins back over 100 years to Wilkinson & Simpson Ltd, manufacturers of basic medicines and pharmaceuticals in Newcastle, UK. In the 1940s, Dr Palin worked on the original Palin System using DPD for measuring chlorine in water, now the global standard. In 1983, Palintest became a part of the global Halma plc Group.
The company can be traced back to the late nineteenth century when two chemists called Wilkinson & Simpson became involved in an apothecary business in Newcastle on Tyne. This business continued to thrive and develop in Newcastle on Tyne and eventually became a manufacturing chemist and pharmaceutical wholesaling business.
This business continued to the 1950’s until the Company was approached by Dr Thomas Palin, a water scientist and chemist whose achievements included the development of breakpoint chlorination for water and the invention of the DPD method for the determination of chlorine.
Dr Palin’s method became the standard method of chlorine determination throughout the world. Dr Palin also developed a system of chemical reagents presented in the form of reagent tablets and intended for use in the determination of chemical constituents of drinking water. He approached Wilkinson & Simpson Ltd to manufacture the reagent tablets and Dr Palin and the Company formed a partnership.
Eventually Wilkinson & Simpson Ltd became sole owners of the tablet reagent system developed by Dr Palin and Dr Palin became a consultant to the Company. During the 1970’s the pharmaceutical and wholesaling and manufacturing business was sold and the Company's business became exclusively that of chemical reagent manufacture.
In 1983 the Company Wilkinson & Simpson Ltd was purchased by a British Corporation, Halma plc and considerable investment was made in Wilkinson & Simpson Ltd to improve the manufacturing process of its tablet reagent system and to develop a complete range of analytical equipment to be used in association with the reagent tablets. The reagents were marketed under the brand name ‘Palintest’.
The Company was renamed ‘Palintest Ltd’ in May 1989 to reflect both its registered trade mark and its association with Dr Palin, the father of the DPD method.
To continue our long history of innovation and support our global customer base, Palintest applies a number of key skills and capabilities:
- Research and Development – Chemistry and method development, electronic instruments, software, application-specific kits and sensor technology. Regardless of future legislation or technology, Palintest will be at the forefront of supporting our customer base with new and innovative solutions.
- Manufacturing – Lean manufacturing, extensive quality control throughout and effective stock rotation. We pride ourselves at Palintest with our ability to provide some of the best lead times in the industry.
- Logistics – Electronic order tracking, variety of delivery options including next day, documentation support for Certificate of Origin and similar, hazardous goods shipping. Wherever you are in the world and whatever your order, Palintest can deliver the goods in the most effective way.
- After Sales Support – Multilingual technical support by phone/e-mail or in person, instrument service and convenient local locations for consumables in many territories. Once you become a Palintest or Wagtech user, support is never more than a click or call away
In 2011, Palintest Ltd acquired the water testing division of Wagtech International.
Initially christened ‘Wagtech Water Technology Division’ (or WTD for short) following acquisition, this key part of Palintest’s international business has a critical focus on the aid and developing world sector and the crucial part water and sanitation (WATSAN) have to play in the improvement of lives and protection of the environment. The WTD suffix has since been dropped as the Wagtech name is synonymous with water testing in extreme circumstances.
Key Wagtech customers and users are:
- Developing world countries across the globe, especially those identified via the Millenium Development Goals (MDG) and the Joint Monitoring Program. Wherever in the world the need is, and no matter how harsh the environment, Wagtech products are there and working hard.
- NGOs and aid agencies serving these development needs such as WHO, UNICEF, Care International, Oxfam and many more. Wagtech maintains active dialogue with both water testing specialists at regional hubs and direct contact with field offices.
- Humanitarian response to natural disasters and urgent situations such as earthquakes, floods and tsunamis. Significant levels of stock are held without commitment to provide the fastest response to emergencies.
Providing a range of physico-chemical testing kits, microbiological kits and combination kits, Wagtech provides the key test parameters for water safety in convenient, rugged portable kits.
Palintest Ltd is a subsidiary of Halma plc – an international group with businesses in 23 countries and major operations in Europe, USA and Asia.
Halma divides the numerous business across the group into four sectors:
- Process Safety : We make products which protect assets and people at work.
- Infrastructure Safety : We make products which detect hazards to protect assets and people in public and commercial buildings.
- Medical : We make products used to improve personal and public health.
- Environmental and Analysis : We make products and technologies for analysis in safety, life sciences and environmental markets.
Palintest Ltd is part of the Environmental and Analysis group.
As a Halma Company, Palintest has access to a number of group resources such as collaboration with other companies, executive and management development programmes and support in accessing new markets and territories.
Palintest aims to maintain and build on its market position by continually developing existing and new product lines. In recent years, we have developed a unique range of electro-chemical sensors which provide rapid analysis results in situ which are very simple to use. We now offer sensor-based tests for chlorine, chlorine dioxide, chlorite and for a range of heavy metals (lead and copper). This unique sensor method of analysis also carries USEPA Approval.
Our range of photometer instruments and tests are constantly being improved and updated.