SCS Global Services is a global leader in independent certification of environmental, sustainability, food quality and food purity claims. Over two decades, SCS has developed internationally recognized standards and certification programs aimed at spurring the highest level of environmental improvements, social accountability and product performance. Its programs span a wide cross section of the economy, recognizing accomplishments in agricultural production, food processing and handling, forestry, fisheries, flowers and plants, energy, green building, consumer and business product manufacturing, and corporate social responsibility.Food & Ag- certifications: SQF, BRC, TNC, HACCP, NutriClean, Pesticide Free, Fair Labor Practices, Flavor Rich + lab work for regulatory, import-export. Forestry- FSC, Legal Harvest. Sustainable Fisheries -MSC. Carbon Offset and GHG Verification.
- Business Type:
- Service provider
- Industry Type:
- Environmental - Environmental Management
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
Scientific Certification Systems, Inc., now doing business as SCS Global Services, is a trusted leader in third-party environmental, sustainability and food quality certification, auditing, testing and standards development.
We partner with companies, government agencies, and stakeholders worldwide to identify and drive practices, policies and processes that advance the goals of sustainable development and give innovators a competitive advantage. Working with capable leaders across the forestry, green building, energy, agricultural, fisheries, and consumer products sectors, we proudly provide services in every corner of the earth. These services are enabling policy-makers, procurement officers, company decision-makers and consumers to make informed decisions based on the highest level of environmental, ethical and quality accountability.
We also are playing a leading role in driving the development of national and international leadership standards to create a framework for continuous improvement.
Audits, test results, and certifications conducted by a neutral third-party provide the independent perspective needed to help clients evaluate their own performance, identify improvement opportunities, and determine the best steps forward. Third-party certification also builds customer and stakeholder confidence.
We vigorously uphold our third-party status through the following steps.
- We are financially independent from our clients, and have no financial backing from any institution who has an interest in representing our clients or their products
- We operate on a fee-for-service basis, providing transparency and ensuring that our fees are not attached to the volume of sales of certified products.
- Our internal quality system and company policies ensure insulation from commercial, financial and other pressures that might influence the findings of a certification, verification or validation assessment, and interpretations of test results.
- Each SCS Program Director and Manager is responsible for identifying, analyzing and documenting potential conflicts of interest relative to project-specific evaluation, audit and certification activities.
- SCS requires all personnel, internal and contracted, to reveal any situation known to them that may present them or SCS with a potential conflict of interest.
Simply put, our vision is to promote sustainable decision-making and policies in every sector of the economy around the world, in order to safeguard our environment, support workers and communities, and raise the standard of living for all.
To achieve this vision, we have established programs and services designed to:
- Recognize the outstanding achievements of companies, institutions and organizations who are meeting the highest levels of performance in environmental protection, social responsibility, product safety and quality; and
- Stimulate continuous improvement on the path toward sustainability. In this undertaking, we employ a life-cycle framework, state-of-the-art science, proven analytical methods and performance metrics and professional expertise.
To accomplish our mission, our programs and services are oriented toward:
- Promoting management system certification, product certification, inspection, validation and verification in accordance with the applicable certification standards;
- Assisting companies and industries implement systems and practices that minimize impacts on human health and the environment;
- Delivering world-class assessment and certification services;
- Continually monitoring scientific developments, market dynamics and regulatory requirements; and
- Continually improving SCS services to meet multi-stakeholder objectives.
Back in 1984, when SCS first began providing third-party certification services, sustainability was hardly on the radar screen. Fast forward to today, sustainability innovation is a key business driver around the globe. Here are just a few of the many exciting milestones in our history.
What's in a Name?
Names say a lot about intentions, and we've chosen a name that communicates ours. We first incorporated under the name, Ohlone Inc., in honor of the sustainable practices of the original inhabitants of the San Francisco Bay Area where we began offering services. In 1988, we became Scientific Certification Systems, Inc. (SCS), to communicate our efforts to apply rigorous science to the task of independent, third-party certification of claims, paying attention to holistic, system-wide ramifications. Today, we are SCS Global Services, communicating the importance of serving the international community with science-based certification, auditing, and testing services and insights.