SIGMA³ (Sigma Cubed Inc.)
SIGMA³ offers technology, expertise and services ranging from reservoir understanding, field development planning to production optimization. This integration of geoscience and engineering forms the foundation of SIGMA³ GeoEngineering solutions, including earth modeling and imaging; seismic-driven reservoir characterization and Continuous Fracture Modeling (CFM); hydrofrac engineering design and microseismic fracture and field monitoring.
If You Are Going to Have to Drill Fewer Wells, You Better Know Where to Put Them and How to Get the Most Production
This is no time for flowery words and superlatives. What's happening in the market right now is painful. Industry recovery will come, but in the meantime, improved performance at the bit is the only way to outlast this downward slide.
This is especially true for Independents whose very survival depends on full-throttle, revenue-generating oil production to make up for losses as the price per barrel declines. Did you know that the industry lost $2.75 Billion in services last year from screen outs alone? Or that some operators estimate that only 5 to 8% of available resources are recovered from unconventional reservoirs?
Optimizing production and EUR involves a lot of variables, including well placement, hazard avoidance, wellbore azimuth and inclination, well spacing, completion technique, fracture spacing and treatment type. This is especially true in the shale game where every play is different and reservoir properties can change from well to well. Making decisions about whether or not to refrac and/or extend lateral length adds even more complexity.
Given the amount of CAPEX required to drill multi-frac horizontal wells, why gamble when you can spend a small fraction of that to ensure you are drilling wells in the sweet spot and stimulating them in the best possible rock?
Founded in 2011 on the promise of helping clients use innovation to lower finding & development costs, increase production, and reduce their environmental footprint, SIGMA³ is part of the immediate solution.
SIGMA³ solutions account for only about 1.5% of the total cost of a well, but the increased production that is delivered outweighs the cost of our services and technology. View key projects on the Performance Map.
- Avoiding screen outs with accuracy of 99.3% on horizontal wells using exceptional Engineering workflows saved SIGMA³ clients $22.7M in 2014 – that's 85K per well.
- Engineered 4X production increase on re-stimulation design in the Paradox Basin
- Clients working in the Bakken have increased production by an average of 53% ($3.4M incremental production value per well.
- National Oil Company came to SIGMA³ to pioneer onsite frac engineering in the world's 2nd largest shale gas resource in Argentina.
- Helped Petrohawk deliver 8 of the top 10 producing plays in the Haynesville.
- Super Major credits SIGMA³ with the design, implemented & interpretation of an extended microseismic program on a critical unconventional play in the China Sichuan Province.
- Beusa saved $6M in the Haynesville using SIGMA³ Borehole Seismic and Well Trajectory Imaging workflows.
- Designed and executed propped fracture treatment for the first shale completions in Russia.
- San Leon Energy credits 'break-through frac design' from SIGMA³ for helping yield the first successful shale vertical in Poland.
- Predrill Pressure Prediction and Geohazards on over 200 deepwater and HP/HT wells worldwide with a 100% success rate for safe drilling with zero well incidents and greatly reduced NPT.
- Mitigated losses of up to $1.7M for Large Independent working in the Eagle Ford using on-site Engineering workflows and expertise.
- Fasken Oil & Ranch says SIGMA³ has the 'Best microseismic acquisition techniques & processing algorithms in the industry'.
- Clients working in the Bakken, Eagle Ford and Woodford are predicting production with confidence – 80-90% – using SIGMA³ Shale Capacity™ and geomechanical modeling workflows.
- CIO Review includes SIGMA³ on their list of Top 20 Most Promising Solution Providers in the Energy Sector.
How do we help clients face their challenges head on? By making their exploration, drilling and completions programs, and frac campaigns as efficient as possible, long before the hydrofrac spread arrives at the drilling pad. You can be confident that the optimal number – not the largest number – of wells are being drilled (less sand, less water, less fracking), but with an increase in production.
Our GeoEngineering solutions are unique to the industry and tie geosciences and engineering to production. This proprietary mix includes microseismic, processing and interpretation, software technology and expertise under one integrated framework, and it helps clients deliver increased accuracy, maximum efficiency, and better production. Critical decisions about extending the horizontal wellbore or performing a refrac can be made with confidence using integrated technologies.
You'll have confidence about where to drill, as well as where and how to frac, so you can keep producing at the same level, even as you drill fewer wells.
- Optimize your field development strategy by identifying the surface locations and lateral landing zones that will deliver the highest production. The Shale Capacity model ensures you will predict well performance with a high degree of confidence and pinpoint the richest targets before drilling begins.
- Drill safely and ensure accurate 3D estimates for frac closure stress and frac height using expert 3D pore pressure & frac pressure prediction methods.
- Predict and evaluate the geomechanical response of the reservoir to hydraulic stimulation using first-of-its-kind dynamic Geomechanics to assess completion methods and reduce the number of sub-optimal frac stages. Account for the propagation and interaction of multiple hydraulic fractures with natural fractures by predicting differential stress, microseismicity and frac stage performance, you will optimize SRV and accelerate revenue.
- Validate the Shale Capacity findings in real time using high-confidence microseismic-led completions monitoring and use the results to optimize the next well.
- Avoid screen outs and reduce NPT on extended lateral multi-stage frac campaigns using onsite Frac Engineering expertise. By precisely modelling the wellbore, frac fluids and proppant, our engineers microanalyze the bottomhole net pressure response and help you predict what is most likely to happen during a frac stage. With 99.3% success rate in horizontal screen out avoidance, SIGMA³ saved clients$22.7 Million just last year.
- Optimize well design and stimulation effectiveness using inter-disciplinary Production Enhancement.Bringing together the best in reservoir, drilling, completion & stimulation engineering and leveraging basin experience from more than 30,000 frac stages around the world, SIGMA³ provides complete, integrated petroleum field studies that have resulted in multifold increases in oil and gas production.
- Identify the best refrac candidates and model streamlined refrac designs. Determine the highest NPV and quickest payoff time to pinpoint the optimum design, then execute and analyze in real time.
- Execute M&A activity where both sellers and buyers benefit because they know the production potential of the asset.
Success at the Bit is Found in Innovation
Times are hard, and inefficiencies that could be accepted at $100/barrel, cannot be tolerated below $50. This pain will drive operators toward thought leadership and technical innovations that will help them stay the course and create fertile ground for a new breed of innovators. These visionaries will play a critical role to deliver success regardless of the price of services or barrels, enabling E&P operators thrive and produce more efficiently, and continue to support the US and global economy.
Operational efficiency in a low commodity price environment is within reach and SIGMA³ was founded on this very principle – to help our clients achieve business success in any commodity price environment.
We're ready to go to work for you.