Soil Conservation and Watershed Management Research Institute (SCWMRI) of the Agricultural Research and Education Organization (AREO) is the focal point for Soil Conservation, Watershed Management, Flood Management and exploitation, River Engineering and training, Coastal Protection, Hydrology and Water Resources Development in Ministry of Agriculture, in Iran. SCWMRI is located in a campus in Tehran and focuses on research topics on the mentioned areas.
- Business Type:
- Research institute
- Industry Type:
- Water and Wastewater
- Market Focus:
- Nationally (across the country)
- Year Founded:
- less than 1,000,000 €
Soil conservation and watershed management measures refers to the set of planned structural and non structural operations in a watershed for protection of soil and water resources, increased quality and quantity of production to achieve sustainable development. Applied research implementation is one the fundamental requirements to achieve the goals of protecting soil and water resources. Soil Conservation and Watershed Management Research Institute (SCWMRI) is born of Water Committee of former Jihad-e-Sazandegi Ministry, which had significant contributions in the field of water research. SCWMRI is the national focal point of watershed research and includes three research departments, namely soil conservation and watershed management, hydrology and water resources development, and river and coastal conservation department. Brief objectives of the institute are as follows:
- Expansion of fundamental and applied research in the fields of soil conservation and watershed management,
- Identifying issues, obtaining, creating, processing, and dissemination of technology applied to enhance research activities on soil conservation and watershed management,
- Development of new methods to promot indigenous knowledge and technologies for local soil conservation and watershed management practices,
- Commercializing research achievements related to soil conservation and watershed management,
- Cooperation with universities and research institutes inside and outside the country in order to improve the quality of researches needed in the field of soil conservation and watershed management.
- To identify and prioritize research needs in the fields of soil conservation and watershed in the country.
- Performing basic and applied research projects shared with other responsible national institutes in soil conservation and watershed management areas.
- Providing required facilities for research activities related to soil conservation and watershed management.
- Active communications with universities, scientific centers, and educational and research institutions within and outside the country related to SCWMRI goals according to the national regulations.
- Providing advisory services to real and legal individuals based on the research achievements and scientific activities conducted by the Institute.
- Publishing magazines, books, scientific journals and technical reports, producing software and computer programs and other scientific, research and educational products in accordance with the Institute's goals.
- Holding conferences and specialized meetings in national and international levels and present research achievements in the form of training workshops.
- To establish graduate research programs in M.Sc. and Ph.D. level accordance to the Institute's goals and activity fields by observing regulations of the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology and Expansion Council of Higher Education.