Specac designs and manufactures accessories and sample preparation solutions for Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), X-Ray Fluorescence spectroscopy (XRF), and near infrared (NIR) process spectroscopy. We were the very first to market a commercial diamond ATR solution with the Golden Gate, which was launched more than 25 years ago and remains a stalwart of labs around the world. Our reach is global. We have offices in the UK, Singapore, China, and the USA as well as an extensive network of regional dealers across the globe.
Find locations served, office locations and our distributors
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Laboratory Equipment
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
At Specac we undertake design and manufacture of accessories and sample preparation solutions for Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), X-Ray Fluorescence spectroscopy (XRF), and near infrared (NIR) process spectroscopy. Design and manufacture occurs at our purpose-built 33,000 square foot high-tech operation located in London.
We were the very first to market a commercial diamond ATR solution with the Golden Gate, which was launched more than 25 years ago and remains a stalwart of labs around the world. We have extensive experience of different kinds of IR sampling accessories going back decades.
Our reach is global. We have offices in the UK, Singapore, China, and the USA as well as an extensive network of regional dealers across the globe. Our customers are diverse, from academia to policing and from manufacturing to cutting-edge chemical diagnostics.
Our onsite demonstration laboratory, the Newton Lab, gives us the ability to test customer samples on site and provide training for users and distributors.
Research & Industrial Instruments was founded in 1954 by Dr. Tadion to serve the market for sample handling devices. In 1955 he joined forces with Terry Horsley, Harry Merralls, and Stan Ranson, and the company continued growing quickly. In 1965 Bernard Hawker also joined them in their enterprises.
In 1968 Research & Industrial Instruments was acquired by Beckman Instruments, but in 1970, Beckman relocated to Scotland. In January 1971 Bernard Hawker and Stan Ranson started their own company, ‘Spectroscopic Accessories’, manufacturing graphite disks. In March 1971 Terry Horsley and Harry Merralls were invited to join this new company, to strengthen the optics manufacturing element of the business, and Analytical Accessories Ltd was formed. The range of products grew and they soon provided infrared accessories, optical components and mounts, HPLC valves, and far infrared instruments.
The name ‘SPECAC’ originated from a shipping agent deciding that “Spectroscopic Accessories Company” was too long.
By December 1984, Specac had built up a reliable worldwide network, and became a member of the Defence and Instrumentation Division of Cambridge Electronics Industries (which later changed its name to Graseby plc). 1990 saw the development of a strategic plan to develop the company into a leading edge FTIR sample handling accessory manufacturer, and in 1994 the company relocated into a purpose built building.
In 1997 Specac became part of Smiths Group, one of the UK's largest companies. Specac left Smiths in 2015 following a management-led buy out with backing from the Foresight Group, London.
Specac is now more than 50 years old, reaching that milestone in 2021. We won the prestigious Queen's Award for Enterprise in 2018. Our latest innovations include the Arrow silicon ATR consumable and the Apex quick release die for XRF sample preparation.
Specac manufactures an extensive range of FTIR Accessory, IR Polarizer, and Pellet Press Products for Atomic and Molecular Spectroscopy. These products include ATR Accessories, Specular Reflectance Accessories, Diffuse Reflectance Accessories, Liquid Transmission and Gas Transmission Cells, as well as Infrared and Terahertz Wire Grid Polarizers, Bench-Top Hydraulic Presses, KBr Pellet Presses, XRF Pellet Presses, Thin Film Making Kits, and Evacuable Pellet Dies.
For online optical spectroscopy or FTIR analysis, Specac offers a comprehensive range of NIR Process Cells suitable for liquid and gas/vapour analysis.
For any FTIR Accessory, Infrared Polarizer, or Pellet Press Product enquiry, please email the Specac sales office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or follow the 'Request a Quote' link on the product pages. For standard product offers, we aim to reply to quote requests within one working day.
Specac Limited regards the promotion of health and safety measures as a mutual objective for Management and Employees at all levels.
It is therefore the Company's policy to do all that is reasonably practicable to prevent personal injury and damage to property and to protect everyone from foreseeable work hazards, including the public insofar as they come into contact with the Company and its' products.
In particular this Company has a responsibility:-
- To provide and maintain safe and healthy working conditions taking account of any statutory requirements.
- To provide training and instruction to enable employees to perform their work safely and efficiently.
- To make available all necessary safety devices and protective equipment and supervise their use.
- To maintain a constant and continuing interest in healh and safety matters applicable to the Company's activities, in particular, by consulting and involving employee's, and/or their representatives, wherever possible.
Employees have a duty to co-operate in the operation of this policy;
- By working safely and efficiently.
- By using the protective equipment provided and by meeting statutory obligations.
- By reporting incidents that have led, or may lead, to injury or damage.
- By adhering to Company procedures, jointly agreed on their behalf, for securing a safe work place
- By assisting in the investigation of accidents with the object of introducing measures to prevent a recurrence.
The Directors and Managers of Specac Limited recognise the social and economic importance of protecting the enviroment and are fully committed to complying with the requirements of the Enivronmental Protection Act 1990.
To support the stated commitment, it is management policy to integrate environmental considerations into the business decision making process.
In order to maintain and sustain the Company's Environmental Policy, it is necessary that every reasonably practicable means be used to:-
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and with other requirements to which Specac Limited subscribes which relate to its environmental aspects.
- We are committed to the achievement of continual improvement and the prevention of pollution.
- Measure the business operations to provide the framework for setting and reviewing of environmental objectives and targets.
- Making economic use of energy, water and other materials to minimise waste in all aspects of the business function.
- Review regularly the environmental impact resulting from business operations and to remain fully informed of changes to legal and other requirements and recognised best practices.
- Communicate this policy to all interested parties including company customers, suppliers and employees, and encourage their active involvement in environmental issues.
The Managing Director has the overall and final responsibility for the Environmental Policy with the Managment Representative responsible for the co-ordination, implementation and monitoring of the policy throughout the organiasation and ensuring that the policy is reviewed annually.
Management throughout the organisation are responsible for the communication of the policy and promoting active participation at all levels, whilst ensuring that activities under their control conform to the legal requirements and that good environmental standards are achieved and maintained.
Employees have the responsibility to actively support the company to ensure the effective implementaion and mantenance of the policy.
To Develop long term profitable Client relationships, through meeting Client, Statutory and Regulatory requirements whilst seeking to continually improve our service and products we sell'
To achieve this we will always aim to:
Meet product Quality requirements
- Fully understand requirements.
- Thoroughly brief and communicate these requirements.
- Meet product quality standards / specifications.
Provide excellent Service
- Be pro-active in all our dealings with Clients.
- Do things right, first time, every time.
- Keep Clients informed of any problems.
- Be polite and courteous at all times.
- Be flexible to meet Clients changing requirements.
- Continually review our performance and implement actions to improve.
Ensure timely Delivery
- Meet agreed deadlines.
- Support our Clients to meet their goals when they are struggling to do so themselves.
All employees have been trained to understand the objective and commitment required to maintain an effective quality system, with all new employees being trained as part of the company induction process. This Policy and quality objectives will be reviewed annually to ensure compliance and continuous improvement.
The RoHS Directive (2011/65/EU) restricts the use of certain hazardous substances commonly used in the manufacturing of electronic equipment and requires producers of electronic equipment to reduce the concentration of these hazardous materials which include:
- Lead (Pb)
- Mercury (Hg)
- Cadmium (Cd)
- Hexavalent Chromium (Cr)
- Polybrominated Biphenyis (PBB)
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE)
The RoHS directive states that as of July the 1st 2006, electrical and electronic equipment manufacturers must eliminate the use of all the above materials. Although RoHS is a European Union (EU) Directive, manufacturers of EEE outside Europe must also abide by this legislation if the equipment they produced is ultimately imported into an EU member state.
Specac Limited certifies that their entire range of products sold to EU member states meet the requirements of the RoHS Directive. Where products are manufactured outside the EU and do not comply with the RoHS Directive this will be clearly identified on the individual technical data sheets for each product.