Our business is publishing. With more than 2,900 journals and 300,000 books, Springer offers many opportunities for authors, customers and partners. On 10 May 1842 (his 25th birthday), Julius Springer founded his bookstore and publishing house in Berlin, laying the foundation for today’s company. After 175 dynamic years the name Springer stands for a globally active publisher dedicated to the advancement of science, putting its authors and editors at the heart of the company’s publishing activities. Springer Nature aims to advance discovery by publishing robust and insightful science, supporting the development of new areas of research and making ideas and knowledge accessible around the world.
Springer is a leading global scientific, technical and medical portfolio, providing researchers in academia, scientific institutions and corporate R&D departments with quality content through innovative information, products and services.
Springer has one of the strongest STM and HSS eBook collections and archives, as well as a comprehensive range of hybrid and open access journals and books under the SpringerOpen imprint.
Springer is part of Springer Nature, a global publisher that serves and supports the research community.
- From politics to science – the first and second Springer generation (1842-1906)
- Becoming Germany´s leading scientific publisher (1906-1945)
- Reconstruction and globalization (1945-1992)
- Growth without limits? (1992-1996)
- The digitalization breakthrough (1996-1999)
- Transition and restructuring (1999-2007)
- Digitalization 2.0 – from Open Access to the Springer Book Archives (2007-2010)
- Content for a knowledge-based society – editorial for the 21st century (2011-2016)
- The road to Springer Nature – background and vision through 2017