St Andrews Instrumentation Limited (SAIL)
St Andrews Instrumentation Limited (SAIL) are pioneers in real time autonomous acoustic detection. Using Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) processes our compact and easy to integrate data acquisition cards are a new and revolutionary solution for mammal research and monitoring. So whether you are on land or at sea our products deliver fast, accurate and reliable information at the touch of a button. Before the data is delivered, the required information is collected, processed and scaled down with extraneous noise removed. No additional analysis software is required, we take care of it all. Mitigate the impact of your projects on the environment in real-time and across great distances with our Decimus range of products. SAIL is a global company with offices, in St Andrews, Scotland, Hong Kong, Seattle, Washington, and Vancouver, British Columbia.
St Andrews Instrumentation Limited (SAIL) are pioneers in real time autonomous acoustic detection. Using Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) processes we provide remotely accessible information worldwide.
The technology was initially developed by the commercial arm of SMRU, Sea Mammal Research Unit at the University of St Andrews. Set-up in 2006, SMRU Marine is a world leader in applied research and consultancy on marine mammals, providing high quality services and advice on marine environmental issues.
In 2012 ownership was transferred to MIL (Marine Instrumentation Limited), a sister company of SMRU Marine and a subsidiary of SOI Group Limited. This in turn became St Andrew’s Instrumentation Limited or as we like to call ourselves SAIL.
Decimus is the new name for the formerly known PAMBuoy group of products. The new product name is true representation of SAIL's product offering and will be used henceforth.
SOI Group Limited, SMRU Marine and SAIL are wholly owned by the University of St Andrews.
- Long term autonomous deployment
- Real time data retrieval
- Shore based mission re-assignment
- Encrypted data transmission and secure client access
- Reduced risk of data loss
- Long range wireless
- Fibre optic
- Iridium (coming soon)
Conventional visual techniques for monitoring mammals whether on land or at sea are often hampered by severe weather. Our products can be used in all weather conditions, they can be remotely adjusted and upgraded at minimal risk to users. We work closely with customers in the following markets:
- Defence - Autonomous detection / localisation
- Construction - Marine and Civil engineering projects inshore and offshore
- Marine Renewables - Offshore wind and tidal
- Oil & Gas - Environmental impact / noise monitoring, specialised noise detection systems, de-commissioning
- Other Instrumentation Devices - Portable acoustic systems for Geophones, Microphones (land and flying mammals) Counterfeit fluid analysis systems
- R&D Bespoke Systems - Customer driven, innovation to commercialisation