Stoel Rives LLP
Stoel Rives enjoys a 100-year tradition of excellence as a leading U.S. law firm. With nearly 400 lawyers practicing across the full spectrum of corporate law and business litigation, and offices in eight states, we provide legal services to clients with local, regional, national and international operations.
Stoel Rives LLP is a U.S. law firm, with a full suite of transactional and litigation solutions for U.S. and international clients. Established in 1907, the firm has nearly 400 attorneys operating out of 11 offices in seven states. Representative clients include financial institutions, public and private utilities, energy and renewable energy companies, developers, manufacturers, retailers, hospitals, universities, agribusinesses, software companies, food and beverage companies, charitable foundations, telecommunications and forestry companies, among others. We represent businesses at all stages of growth, from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies.
Stoel Rives is a leader in corporate, energy, environmental, intellectual property, labor and employment, land use and construction, litigation, natural resources, real estate, renewable energy and technology law. We rank among the top 20 U.S. law firms for the number of metropolitan first-tier practice areas listed in the 2011-2012 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® ''Best Law Firms'' survey. We have also forged a national reputation for client service, as illustrated by the annual BTI Consulting Group in-house counsel client satisfaction survey that rated Stoel Rives among the nation's 30 best law firms for 'exceptional' client service in 2010 and 2011. Our lawyers have distinguished themselves individually. The 2011 Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business® guide ranks 89 of our lawyers among the best in their region. Best Lawyers in America® lists 134 of our lawyers in 66 legal practice categories in its 2012 directory, and selected 22 Stoel Rives lawyers as 2012 Lawyers of the Year in their markets and practice areas.
We will serve leading established and emerging business clients by providing value-added solutions to their legal needs
We will accomplish this goal by providing distinctive client service and relationships based on a combination of specialized expertise, a commitment to excellence, and deep business and industry knowledge
We will develop and retain lawyers and staff of the highest calibre
We will attain our goals while preserving our culture of commitment to integrity, diversity in all its forms, our communities and each other
Stoel Rives is a member of TerraLex®, an international network of 160 leading independent law firms serving the business needs of clients around the globe. This membership gives our clients access to local counsel in 100 foreign countries and 44 U.S. states. More than 20 practice specialties are represented in the network, including banking, corporate, environmental, insurance, intellectual property, labor & employment, real estate, tax and transport & logistics.
Excellence, stewardship and commitment to our communities have sustained Stoel Rives for more than 100 years. The attorneys and employees of Stoel Rives remain committed to meeting the needs of today without compromising those of tomorrow. We are equally committed to serving companies that belong to sustainable industries. For more than a decade, we have been a leading law firm to the renewable energy industry, serving clients in wind, solar, geothermal, hydropower and tidal energy as well as producers of biofuels throughout the United States, Canada and abroad. We are also active in representing clients in construction and green building, agriculture, and the West's oldest sustainable industry, forestry. Like these clients, we believe in leading by example.
Stoel Rives efforts to minimize environmental impact date back to 1980s when the firm's Portland office embarked on a rigorous recycling program well before it was available through the city or through the firm's office building. Several of the firm's green achievements include:
- Membership in the EPA's Green Power Partnership, an association of businesses and government entities that get part of their energy from renewable sources. Stoel Rives is the largest purchaser of renewable energy among all U.S. law firms in the association.
- Purchasing Renewable Energy Credits known as RECs or 'Green tags' to offset 60% of our firmwide electricity usage in seven states. We purchase our RECs from firm clients 3 Degrees and Bonneville Environmental Foundation. Our commitment to the purchase of green power qualifies us for the EPA Green Power Partnership and the ABA-EPA Law Office Climate Challenge. We are one of only six law firms nationwide that qualifies for the 'Leader' designation for these two programs.
- Purchasing enough green tags to offset carbon emissions from both car and air travel for all of the firm's recruiting trips. We also helped the University of Michigan Law School develop and launch a carbon-offset program for its on-campus recruiting program and were the first firm to sign up.
- Encouraging reduced car travel by subsidizing transit passes; joining Flexcar, a car-sharing program that supports hybrid vehicles; and participating in other commuter programs.
- Offsetting 100% of the carbon emissions associated with both electricity usage for the firm's 'Investing in Clean Energy' conference and for participants' travel to and from the forum.
- Certified participation in the Portland Office of Sustainable Development's BlueWorks recycling and waste reduction program.
The firm's Sustainability Committee is responsible for leading efforts firm-wide that improve our practices and educate staff and attorneys on how to minimize our environmental impact. Through the Go Green campaign and P2 Sustainability Certification Program, personnel are educated, encouraged and recognized for conserving energy, supporting clean energy production, reducing waste, utilizing mass transit, selecting environmentally friendly vendors and products, and incorporating other responsible environmentally sustainable behaviors into their lifestyles in the office and at home.