Terra Systems, Inc.’s senior scientists have been developing in situ bioremediation technology since the 1980’s. Our roots go back to Richard Raymond, Sr. who received the first patent, U.S. Patent No. 3,846,290 for in situ bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in the 1970’s while at Sun Oil Company. Today, led by President Richard Raymond, Jr., Terra Systems, Inc. offers a variety of proven aerobic and anaerobic in situ bioremediation products and unsurpassed technical support. As a bioremediation product supplier, Terra Systems views environmental consulting companies as our customers, not our competitors and our goal is to make environmental consultants successful with their clients. We do not have a separate environmental consulting company or injection contractor that competes with our clients and since our focus is on our products and not billable hours, we invest heavily in Research & Development.
Our strong R&D program is focused not only on advancement of bioremediation technology, but also on technology implementation cost reduction. Our products have been assisting site remediation companies with green, sustainable remediation solutions for over 16 years. Terra Systems holds U.S. Patent No. 6,398,960 B1 for the use of emulsified vegetable oil substrate for reductive dechlorination of chlorinated solvents. The Patent and Trademark Office also awarded a patent reissue, U.S. Patent No. RE40,448 for aquifer remediation using emulsified oils on August 5th, 2008.
While others claim to have cutting edge technology, Terra Systems has a proven track record of providing in situ aerobic and anaerobic bioremediation solutions since the 1980’s.
TSI’s products and services include its patented emulsified vegetable oil substrate, SRS™, which supports the biodegradation of perchloroethene (PCE) and trichloroethene (TCE) to safe end products, is an environmentally friendly solution and eliminates the need for continuous substrate additions, which reduces cost.
At sites where Dehalococcoides microorganisms are not present or are found at low numbers, the process will often 'stall” at cis-1,2-dichloroethene. For these situations TSI offers the TSI-DC Dehalococcoides Bioaugmentation CultureTM, which contains greater than 1010 Dehalococcoides/L and will promote the complete dechlorination of PCE or TCE to ethene. For the remediation of dense non-aqueous phase liquids (DNAPLs), TSI is a licensee of EZVI (emulsified zero valent iron) from NASA. SRSTM, TSI DCTM and EZVI offer the 1-2-3 punch, which is often needed in order to reduce PCE to ethene.
Terra Systems anaerobic bioremediation products, which include SRSTM, TSI-DC Bioaugmentation CultureTM, and TSI-EZVI have been accepted by the State of Florida Department of Environmental Protection under the State of Florida Innovative Technologies Program. Terra Systems is in a unique position in the State of Florida offering emulsified vegetable oil, dechlorination bioaugmentation culture, and EZVI to our clients, which strengthens our clients’ remediation action plans and helps speed up their approval process.
TSI’s Treatability Laboratory is one of the most experienced in conducting treatability studies to evaluate monitored natural attenuation of chlorinated solvents and petroleum, enhanced aerobic bioremediation of petroleum, enhanced anaerobic bioremediation of chlorinated solvents and in situ chemical oxidation. TSI has extensive experience in evaluating in situ aerobic biodegradation of petroleum hydrocarbons ranging from gasoline and diesel to heavier products such as No. 6 Fuel oil. TSI can evaluate the benefits of inorganic nutrient additions, pH control, or various oxygen sources from sparged oxygen, slow release oxygen compounds, or hydrogen peroxide. TSI has done assessments of monitored natural attenuation of chlorinated solvents and petroleum hydrocarbons in soils, groundwater, and sediments both in laboratory evaluations and from field monitoring data.
TSI has conducted numerous anaerobic bioremediation studies over the past 14 years investigating the fate of chlorinated solvents such PCE, TCE, cis-1,2-dichloroethene, vinyl chloride, 1,2-dichloroethane, carbon tetrachloride, chloroform, methylene chloride, Dinoseb, 1,1,1-trichloroethane, 1,1-dichloroethane, 1,1-dichloroethene, and chloroethane. We can evaluate different substrates, amendments to adjust pH, nutrients, or the need for bioaugmentation to promote the complete dechlorination of the solvents. TSI personnel conducted a number of the microcosm studies in support of the Remediation Technology Development Forum (RTDF) project at Dover Air Force Base. TSI also operated the pilot system which was the first field demonstration of bioaugmentation to promote the complete dechlorination of trichloroethene and cis-1,2-dichloroethene to ethene.
TSI has conducted numerous treatability studies to evaluate the oxidant demand for oxidants such as permanganate or persulfate. TSI has also evaluated the effectiveness of permanganate, persulfate, ozone, or hydrogen peroxide to destroy contaminants from aromatics like benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylenes; polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons; chlorinated solvents such as PCE, TCE, 1,1,1-trichloroethane, 2-chloropropene, carbon tetrachloride, and others.
• Former and Current Dry Cleaners
• Military Bases
• Manufacturing Facilities
• PCE or TCE to Ethene
• Hexavalent chromium (Cr6+) to trivalent chromium (Cr3+)
• Carbon Tetrachloride to chloroform, dichloromethane, carbon dioxide, and methane
- Terra Systems holds U.S. Patent No. 6,398,960 B1 for the use of emulsified vegetable oil substrate for reductive dechlorination of chlorinated solvents and the Patent and Trademark Office also awarded a patent reissue, U.S. Patent No. RE40,448 for aquifer remediation using emulsified oils on August 5th, 2008.
- Terra Systems is an active member of SABRE (Source Area in situ Bioremediation) an international multidisciplinary team, which is a collaborative R&D project investigating the bioremediation of dense non-aqueous phase liquid (DNAPL) TCE in England. Terra Systems patented SRSTM emulsified vegetable oil substrate was chosen as the substrate of choice after an extensive evaluation process. To date 500 Kg of TCE DNAPL in a test cell has been reduced in 240 days.
- The SABRE project has a budget of approximately US $6,200,000 and includes the following participants: Terra Systems, Inc., DuPont Co., General Electric, Honeywell, Shell Oil Co., Golder Inc., ICI, Geosyntec Consultants, Chevron Oil Co., University of Birmingham (UK), University of Edinburgh, University of Sheffield, US EPA, UK Environmental Agency, US DOD – SERDP, British Geological Survey, Scientific Advisory Group, Stanford University, Queens University Belfast and University of Birmingham (UK).
- Terra Systems operates a R&D/Process Control Laboratory at its Wilmington, Delaware headquarters where TSI conducts laboratory treatability studies to investigate the potential application of in-situ bioremediation and chemical oxidation. TSI has an EPA permit DER000002360 to conduct Hazardous Waste Treatability Studies and a United States Department of Agriculture Permit No. S-62750 Revised to import foreign soils for treatability testing.
- Terra Systems is a founding member of Remediation Partners (RP) a strategic network of independent environmental remediation specialists who provide environmental consultants with additional resources and technologies to help them design, install and maintain innovative remedial systems to treat soil, sludge, groundwater and wastewater for their clients. Each remediation partner provides a “unique patented or proprietary technology” and firmly believes that no single “silver bullet” will meet all remediation objectives and goals. RP’s believe that optimal soil and groundwater treatment can best be achieved by bundling complementary technologies and our team of solution providers is motivated to think outside of the box to arrive at more than one alternative for our client’s most difficult problems!
- Terra Systems is an active member of SURF (Sustainability in Remediation Forum) to develop sustainable techniques and metrics for environmental remediation.
Terra Systems operates its own state-of-the-art manufacturing facility for substrate production. We have the ability to custom blend substrate packages as site conditions require. The customization capability ranges from altering the droplet size to custom blended nutrient amendment packages. Some of the more common requests we receive are:
• Changing the oil content concentration
• Modifying the droplet size based on the formation
• Adding sodium or potassium bromide as a tracer for determining radius of influence
• Increasing the amount of Vitamin B12
For example, a number of our clients use our large droplet size 60% SRS-FRTM for fractured rock formations because it is retained more effectively in the formation. We don't sub-contract manufacturing, so we often work with customers to setup 'Just-In-Time' manufacturing and delivery of SRSTM, especially for large orders. We work closely with the on-site project managers to produce and deliver SRSTM based on real-time site conditions. The benefit of this is that if the PM runs into any injection delays, they don't have to worry about on-site storage of large amounts of material especially in hot weather. Since we operate our own manufacturing facility, we can easily manufacture and ship on demand.