ESTCP is DoD’s environmental technology demonstration and validation program. The Program was established in 1995 to promote the transfer of innovative technologies that have successfully established proof of concept to field or production use. ESTCP demonstrations collect cost and performance data to overcome the barriers to employ an innovative technology because of concerns regarding technical or programmatic risk, the so-called “Valley of Death.”
The Program’s goal is to identify and demonstrate the most promising innovative and cost-effective technologies and methods that address DoD’s high-priority environmental requirements. Projects conduct formal demonstrations at DoD facilities and sites in operational settings to document and validate improved performance and cost savings. To ensure the demonstrated technologies have a real impact, ESTCP collaborates with end-users and regulators throughout the development and execution of each demonstration. Transition challenges are overcome with rigorous and well-documented demonstrations that provide the information needed by all stakeholders for acceptance of the technology.
ESTCP issues an annual solicitation for proposals from the Federal government, academia, and industry and employs a competitive selection process to ensure that ESTCP funds high-quality demonstrations. ESTCP requires each project to develop a formal test and evaluation plan. Demonstration results are subject to rigorous technical reviews to ensure that the conclusions are accurate and well supported by data.
- ESTCP Directors and Staff – ESTCP is managed by a Director and Deputy Director, five Program Managers, and a Financial Officer. The ESTCP office is co-located with the Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program (SERDP) in Alexandria, VA. More
- ESTCP Technical Committees – ESTCP relies on the technical skills offered by the participating Services to assist in the technical aspects of program development, project selection, program monitoring, and technology transfer. More
- ESTCP Program Areas – ESTCP projects are managed within five Program Areas.
- Energy and Water
- Environmental Restoration
- Munitions Response
- Resource Conservation and Resiliency
- Weapons Systems and Platforms