The SHIBATANI GROUP INC. is a Sacramento-based specialty firm in water resources supply development and strategic environmental planning founded by CEO & Managing Partner, Robert Shibatani, a consulting hydrologist and noted California water industry advisor. Our firm specializes in new water supply developing alternatives including new on- and off-stream reservoirs, groundwater conjunctive use, aquifer-storage-recovery programs, physical watershed hydrology, drought contingency planning, climate change effects to water supplies, integrated watershed resources management, water rights, water transfers/wheeling agreements, conveyance improvements (canals/ditches), and instream/watershed environmental impact assessment studies. We provide technical, regulatory, and institutional expertise to investment bankers, venture capitalists, government agencies, regulators, legal firms, engineering firms, non-governmental specialist interests, and public stakeholders.
The Power of Perseverance
The SHIBATANI GROUP Inc. was formed in early 2008 by its founder, CEO & Managing Partner, Robert Shibatani. With exclusive experience in the private sector, both in the U.S. and abroad, and having held a variety of senior management, officer, and shareholder responsibilities for large multi-national, medium, and small sized firms, we have observed first-hand what works and what does not work in corporations. We wanted to do things differently; a lot differently and have proven that we know how.
The SHIBATANI GROUP Inc., is a unique firm, having forged its own model of business management, market strategy, and client service.
'There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds' ~ G.K. Chesterton
Water resources is not something that we came across later in our careers, it is what we have been exclusively focused on for almost 30 years. Since the early 1980’s, Robert Shibatani has been attentively focused on the academic, research, and varied consulting aspects of physical hydrology and water resources.
'By allowing ourselves to evolve; we have sustained longevity'
'If we cannot do it extraordinarily, we will not do it'
Your Project represents Our most important investment.
From its inception, Your Project takes on the highest of priorities. Our implementation tact is aggressive and unrelenting as we execute the various tasks and assignments of Your Project. The SHIBATANI GROUP Inc. develops, prepares, and presents all final work products of Your Project through its Managing Partner.
- Our scopes-of-work are candid and highly detailed, leaving no ambiguity
- We build in high order flexibility so that our clients can re-direct focus and direction at any time
- We keep our clients advised of progress on a constant basis
- We are attuned to accelerating work activities, if our clients request it
- We can return any key corporate decision within 24-hours
- We constantly provide value added counsel and information on relevant outside issues that we feel may be of interest to our clients.
Administratively, Your Project will enjoy one of the most expedient contracting, billing, and accounting processes in the industry.
- Contracting is usually negotiated within a day
- Invoices are prepared with detailed work descriptions and include Your Project monthly summaries, budgetary tracking, and a report on next month's activities and possible new challenges that may affect Your Project
- Invoices are delivered on the 1st day of each month
- You have direct access to the Managing Partner 7 days a week, 24-hours a day
The SHIBATANI GROUP Inc. does not charge direct costs or administrative overhead on any of its projects.
The SHIBATANI GROUP Inc. is very sensitive to the current
economic climate and the challenges our clients face. Accordingly, we have not raised our billing rates since 2008 and will maintain those rates through 2012.
'We take Your Time and Budgets seriously'
Over the years, Robert Shibatani has worked with numerous agencies, firms, and consortiums on a wide variety of water projects including new water service contracts, developer water supplies, water rights, Warren Act contracts, infrastructure/facility approvals, river restoration, canal/ditch encasement, LAFCo MSR reviews, and related environmental regulatory permitting approvals including a complete range of NEPA/CEQA and Endangered Species Act actions.
- El Dorado County Water Agency
- El Dorado Water & Power Authority
- El Dorado Irrigation District
- Georgetown Divide Public Utility District
- El Dorado County
- City of Placerville
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- State Water Resources Control Board
- Placer County Water Agency
- Placer County
- Nevada Irrigation District
- Amador County Water Agency
- Tuolumne Utility District
- Contra Costa Water District
- City of Sacramento
- County of Sacramento
- City-County Office of Metropolitan Water Planning
- Sacramento County Water Agency
- City of Folsom
- City of Modesto
- Northridge Water District
- Arcade Water District
- San Juan Water District
- Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency
- City of Roseville
- Natomas Mutual Water Company
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber & Schreck
- Santa Clara LAFCo
- Somach Simmons & Dunn
- Kronick Moskovitz Tiedemann & Girard
- Bartkiewicz Kronick & Shanahan
- Remy Thomas Moose & Manley
- San Luis Obispo LAFCo
- Jackson DeMarco Tidus & Peckenpaugh
A Lifetime of Hydrology
Robert Shibatani, as a watershed hydrologist, worked on various hydrological research projects during the 1980's including those for the United Nations Educational Science and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Atomic Energy of Canada (Chalk River Nuclear Laboratories), Ontario Ministry of the Environment (Acid Precipitation in Ontario Study), Dorset Research Station, University of Toronto, University of Alberta, and Trent University’s Watershed Ecosystem Program. He worked on the effects of transboundary airborne pollutants (between the U.S and Canada/Europe) on runoff hydrology (watershed processes affecting acid shock in northern latitude Precambrian lakes), a late 70’s international environmental focus that preceded the current interest in another transboundary air pollutant, GHGs, by several decades.
After completing graduate work in physical hydrology, Robert Shibatani spent five-years in the corporate Environmental Law Practice Group of Fasken & Calvin (Fasken Martineau, internationally) in Toronto, before coming to California as a Regulatory Specialist for BEAK Consultants in 1993. At BEAK, he focused exclusively on water projects. He held several project manager and senior manager positions, and was one of the original founding members of Surface Water Resources Inc. (SWRI) in 1996, becoming the Vice President of SWRI's Environmental & Regulatory Program in 1999. Robert Shibatani was a Principal for California Water Resources with Stantec Consulting in 2003 and most recently was a Consulting Hydrologist, Water Industry Advisor for PBS&J.
Robert Shibatani is an accomplished public spokesperson, traveling regularly on the California and international speaker circuit.
'Each of us brings to our job, whatever it is, our lifetime of experience and our values' ~ Sandra Day O'Connor