The University of Toledo is one of 14 state universities in Ohio. We were established in 1872 and became a member of the state university system in 1967. The University of Toledo and the Medical University of Ohio merged July 2006 to form the third-largest public university operating budget in the state. The University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
We offer more than 300 undergraduate, graduate and professional programs at colleges of:
- Adult and Lifelong Learning
- Business and Innovation
- Education, Health Science and Human Service
- Graduate Studies
- Languages, Literature and Social Sciences
- Medicine and Life Sciences
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Visual and Performing Arts
Some of our nationally ranked programs include business, engineering, law, and occupational therapy.
We also offer:
- Part-time and full-time options of study
- Day and evening classes
- One of the largest distance-learning programs in the nation
Main Campus features nine modern residence halls, a gothic bell tower, a Student Recreation Center, a state-of-the-art classroom center in one of our original buildings, Memorial Field House, opened fall 2008, and a football stadium and new Savage Hall basketball and athletic complex, which opened fall 2008.
Health Science Campus is home to graduate health programs and the UT Medical Center, a Level 1 trauma center, offering innovative treatments for strokes and cancer found nowhere else in the state. The UT Medical Center, also features the new $5.8-million Orthopaedics Center.
At UT, we have researchers working at all levels — from undergraduates to faculty — toward our mission of improving the human condition. In fact, their combined, efforts have led to 125 patents and nearly $60 million in funding and grants. Whether your interest is diabetes, performance management, bio-fuels, or Shakespeare, we welcome you to join us in research.
We also are transforming the regional economy and the world through the UT Science and Technology Corridor, where research and innovation mean business.
And our campuses are quite the happening (and fun) places to be — with 200 student organizations, art exhibits, theater performances, athletic games, and renowned speakers such as Robert F. Kennedy Jr and Toni Morrison.
At UT, we are proud Rockets (our nickname), we love our gold and blue (our school colors), and we invite you to visit campus to experience it for yourself.
The mission of The University of Toledo is to improve the human condition; to advance knowledge through excellence in learning, discovery and engagement; and to serve as a diverse, student-centered public metropolitan research university.
The core values are:
- Compassion, Professionalism and Respect: Treat every individual with kindness, dignity and care; consider the thoughts and ideas of others inside and outside of the University with a strong commitment to exemplary personal and institutional altruism, accountability, integrity and honor;
- Discovery, Learning and Communication: Vigorously pursue and widely share new knowledge; expand the understanding of existing knowledge; develop the knowledge, skills and competencies of students, faculty, staff and the community while promoting a culture of lifelong learning;
- Diversity, Integrity and Teamwork: Create an environment that values and fosters diversity; earn the trust and commitment of colleagues and the communities served; provide a collaborative and supportive work environment, based upon stewardship and advocacy, that adheres to the highest ethical standard;
- Engagement, Outreach and Service: Provide services that meet students' and regional needs and where possible exceed expectations; be a global resource and the partner of choice for education, individual development and health care, as well as a center of excellence for cultural, athletic and other events;
- Excellence, Focus and Innovation: Strive, individually and collectively, to achieve the highest level of focus, quality and pride in all endeavors; continuously improve operations; engage in reflective planning and innovative risk-taking in an environment of academic freedom and responsibility; and
- Wellness, Healing and Safety: Promote the physical and mental well-being and safety of others, including students, faculty and staff; provide the highest levels of health promotion, disease prevention, treatment and healing possible for those in need within the community and around the world.
The University of Toledo is a transformative force for the world. As such, the University will become a thriving student-centered, community-engaged, comprehensive research university known for its strong liberal arts core and multiple nationally ranked professional colleges, and distinguished by exceptional strength in science and technology.