UL is a global independent safety science company with more than a century of expertise innovating safety solutions from the public adoption of electricity to new breakthroughs in sustainability, renewable energy and nanotechnology. Dedicated to promoting safe living and working environments, UL helps safeguard people, products and places in important ways, facilitating trade and providing peace of mind.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Service provider
- Industry Type:
- Environmental Management
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
UL certifies, validates, tests, inspects, audits, and advises and trains. We provide the knowledge and expertise to help customers navigate growing complexities across the supply chain from compliance and regulatory issues to trade challenges and market access. In this way, we facilitate global trade and deliver peace of mind.
Our five businesses, Product Safety, Verification Services, Life & Health, Knowledge Services and Environment, demonstrate our expanding breadth of expertise and growing range of services to offer solutions needed in a constantly evolving world.
UL works with a diverse array of stakeholders every day to make the world safer and provide assurance. We optimize the supply chain for manufacturers and provide them a broad range of services that support every stage of the product life cycle. UL works with retailers on inspections and audits. We consult with governments on initiatives that facilitate global trade and collaborate with industry on standards that create level playing fields.
Today's realities require that we offer services relevant to different audiences. UL offers software solutions to controllers interested in workplace safety, safety certification for toy manufacturers, transaction security guidance to financial service executives, and consulting to sustainability officers seeking insight about the macro and micro complexities that impact their companies’ environmental performance. However different and varied our customers are, they are all committed to do business effectively, efficiently and with a trusted expert.
UL has a proud history that continues to motivate us each and every day. For more than a century we have employed exacting scientific processes and the highest ethical principles to deliver trusted results. Today, we are still focusing on the next generation of safety challenges, helping new geographies, new industries and new stakeholders create safer living and work environments.
Drive Every Decision We Make
- Promoting safe living and working environments by the application of safety science and hazard-based safety engineering
- Supporting the production and use of products which are physically and environmentally safe and to apply our efforts to prevent or reduce loss of life and property
- Advancing safety science through research and investigation
- Concentrating our efforts and resources on public safety in those areas where we can make valuable contributions
- Working with integrity and a focus on quality to enhance the trust conveyed by our certification marks and services
- Charging fair prices that allow us to meet our obligations, sustain our growth, and invest in safety science and education
- Investing in our people and encourage our people to invest in themselves
- Being a good example of corporate citizenship and social responsibility
The principles and values established by our founder, William Henry Merrill, continue to guide our leadership today. From our executive management team and our councils to our esteemed William Henry Merrill Society, UL is dedicated to advancing safety science in new and important ways.
We fulfill our safety mission and achieve commercial success by acting in ways that honor ethical values, respect people, empower communities and support the natural environment to produce an overall positive impact on society.