United Business Media operates in the UK, US and Europe, providing creative professional media solutions to around 15 industry sectors. Its products, including magazines, exhibitions, conferences, awards, directories and websites, are targeted at business professionals across a range of markets, these include Building & Property, Licensed Trade, Medical, Travel, Agriculture and Music & Entertainment Technology.
In a digital world, the value of connecting on a meaningful, human level has never been more important. Incredible things happen when people come together, interact and inspire one another.
At UBM, our deep knowledge and passion for your industry allow us to create personalised environments which enable you to succeed. You’ll build relationships, you’ll close deals, you’ll grow your business. You’ll leave energised, inspired and excited about your future.
UBM organises over 300 market-leading B2B events every year. At our events we create the environments which allow business to flourish.
Our knowledge of the communities we serve, our ability to attract the right people and our skill at curating the physical space and creating memorable experiences bring thousands of like-minded people together. It is this shared experience and the opportunities to make human connections which allow businesses to grow.
Wealth of Different Industry Sectors
Our events serve a tremendous variety of different industry sectorsOpens in a new window – from furniture to fashion to pharma. In total we serve over 50 different communities.
Although our portfolio is diverse; our knowledge of the communities we serve is intimate.
Skilled and Passionate People
There over 3,750 people working at UBM. People who are passionate about the communities that they serve and skilled at creating the ideal circumstances for relationships to develop, knowledge to be gleaned and deals to be done.
A Global Network
We operate in more than 20 countries. This global footprint allows us to help businesses to trade both domestically and internationally.
In many of these countries UBM is one of, if not the, leading exhibitions organiser.
Our vision is to become the world’s leading Business-to-Business (B2B) events company.
Our purpose is to help our customers succeed through the power of market-leading live events and the human-scale interactions that ignite and activate global trade, knowledge and networks.
Our strategy ('Events First') is to focus our resources and investment on delivering exceptional B2B events in a wide range of industries and geographies. We do this because we see an exciting opportunity to offer greater value and features for customers, rewarding careers for our people and to drive sustainable growth, margin and returns for our shareholders.
To deliver our vision and fulfil our potential we are focused on five key strategic priorities.
Sustainability at UBM
Being an ethical, sustainable business is central to how we behave, how we make decisions and how we do business every day.
There are five key elements to our sustainability agenda:
- People: We recognise the importance of engaging, motivating, training and supporting our people
- Communities: We support the social communities in which we work - those local to our offices as well as those local to our events
- Environment: We manage UBM's business in a responsible way, reducing our environmental impact whenever possible
- Customers: We collaborate and engage with our customers on sustainability
- Governance: We organsie ourselves to run our business responsibly and ethically and manage risk appropriately
The UBM Commitments articulate UBM's purpose and values, and set out what sort of company we are and what UBM people should value and expect from one another. They represent the DNA of UBM, who we are and how we work.
At UBM we achieve sustainable commercial success through thoughtful market focus and superior results for customers. Our continuing evolution is fuelled by insight, innovation, collaboration and investment in people, and by our commitment to having a positive environmental and social impact.
We work collaboratively
At UBM we connect and work collaboratively to deliver exceptional results for our customers. Our teams and partnerships, locally and globally, allow us to explore different perspectives, to learn from each other and achieve great things together.
What this means is:
- we build and maintain strong working relationships.
- we foster partnerships and networks.
- we share and learn from each other
- we show trust, honesty and openness.
We put customers at the heart of what we do
At UBM we listen carefully to our customers to develop a deep understanding of their needs. We respond to our customers in a dynamic way and focus on delivering outstanding experiences.
What this means is:
- we seek to stand in our customers’ shoes
- we add value through deep insights
- we adopt a customised approach
- we are agile in how we work
We serve our communities
At UBM we champion specialist, professional communities. Our rich understanding of these communities, coupled with our global scale and local presence, enables us to host and enrich the life of each community we serve.
What this means is:
- we aim to make a positive impact in our communities
- we seek to build effective relationships with key members
- we build deep content and knowledge about, and for, our communities
- we develop products that uniquely meet their needs
We bring passion and expertise
At UBM the passion of our people creates an inspiring palce to work. We bring deep expertise and unfaltering dedication to achieve great results. We enable individuals and teams to contribute, to have fun and to grow.
What this means is:
- we always demand high standards of ourselves
- we recognise contributions and celebrate successes
- we value and encourage individual differences
- we enable people to develop as individuals and as part of a team
We are bold
At UBM we innovate and encourage entrepreneurship in order to serve our customers better. We harness the creative and competitive energies that we generate from our diversity.
What this means is:
- we are forward-thinking
- we explore possibilities and embrace change
- we stay curious
- we are open to new ideas
We do the right thing
At UBM being an ethical, sustainable business is central to how we behave, how we make decisions and how we do business every day. We are proud of the positive impact we have on each other, our communities and on wider society.
What this means is:
- we consider the consequences of our actions
- we build and implement sustainable solutions
- we behave responsibly
- we are respectful
UBM employs over 5,000 people in more than 20 countries around the world.
There is no typical UBM employee – people of different ages, genders, races, cultures, sexual orientation, education, physical ability and personality are all represented at UBM. We aim to maximise everybody's potential by harnessing these differences and creating a productive environment in which all are valued. What unites us is the professional excellence and entrepreneurial spirit that keeps the business growing, achieving its potential, and delivering returns to shareholders.
What’s it like working at UBM?
But what’s it like day-to-day at UBM? What would you experience if you worked for us? Who better to ask than those who already do? Here some of our employees talk about their jobs and why they work for UBM.
Our people excel at what they do so when it comes to what UBM offers our employees, we aim to exceed your expectations.
No matter which UBM division or region you join*, through our “Compass” program we are committed to providing you with:
Tools and support to grow your CAREER, through:
- Formal and informal learning & development opportunities
- Internal mentoring programs
- Career development support
- Access to online learning libraries, including Lynda.com
- Internal job posting program
A positive work environment and opportunities to connect with (and give back to) your COMMUNITY, through
- Our zero-tolerance policy toward harassment of any kind
- Respect in the Workplace, Diversity and Inclusion learning programs
- Flexible work hours and home working options
- Local and corporate-run charitable giving initiatives
- Paid volunteering time
- Donation matching
A competitive BENEFITS package, which (depending on region) may include:
- Medical, dental and vision programs
- Flexible spending accounts
- Retirement savings/pension plans
- Commuting allowance
- Generous paid time off
- Life Insurance and Short- & Long-Term Disability Programs
- Various consumer goods and services discount programs
- Sabbatical leave
- Confidential Employee Assistance Program
UBM's unique culture is a key element to creating long term shareholder value. During 2014 we embedded the UBM Commitments with 205 champions from 17 countries running monthly activity sessions. As an adjunct to our Commitments during 2014 we launched the 'Doing Business at UBM' initiative which sets out the basic principles which govern the way UBM employees are expected to behave and directs employees to the various UBM policies that underpin the Code of business conduct.
UBM is able to attract, develop and retain the most talented people at all levels and foster a learning culture. We do this in a variety of ways:
- Talent management – most notably our Business Leaders Programme and our regional Leadership Development Programme
- Adopting employment policies which offer flexible working and paid leave
- Supporting the principles of the United Nations Declaration on Human Rights
- Appropriate reward incentives – including bonus, long term incentives and Sharesave schemes
- Promoting the wellbeing of our people – wellness clinics and programmes, health checkups, healthclub reimbursement schemes etc
Pro bono work, volunteering and employee fundraising
Part of UBM's sustainability agenda is how we support the communities in which we work. UBM offers paid time off for volunteering, complimentary or discounted services for not-for-profit entities and matched-giving and payroll-giving schemes for fundraising and donations.
UBM runs two Community engagement events - NGO Brazil and NGO India - to promote collaboration between businesses, charities and governments.
UBM's US Foundation has been linking business and society for 25 years, enabling employees to partner with business and community stakeholders in order to improve social conditions and provide value.
In 2014, the Foundation supported 275 nonprofits through volunteering and giving activities and $150,000 was donated by employees and UBM LLC Foundation matching. Examples of initiatives include:
Examples of community and charity partnerships:
- PR Newswire partnered with Cage4all and Centre Point Homeless charity in London and provided free-of-charge press releases to charities totalling £34,000 in kind.
- UBM Asia partnered with Food Angel charity, saving food and caring for the community in Hong Kong
- UBM India's Giving Back programme visited Vision in Social Arena (VISA), - a humanitarian organisation working for the rehabilitation of street children in Mumbai.
- UBM America's Black Hat event in Las Vegas took their academic discount a step further this year and developed a Speaker Student Partnership and Scolarship programme - 122 scholarships were awarded, valued at $223,000
- UBM EMEA's Ecobuild partnered with 'CRASH' the construction and property industry for homeless people and, in total, donated £71,000 in time and professional expertise.
We build and improve UBM's business through close collaboration and engagement with our cutomers on sustainability.
We do this by:
- Engaging with customers on our sustainability activities
- Taking up positions in local and international insdustry associations
- ISO20121 sustainable events certification
- Focus on customer experience
- Continuous improvement through customer insight and innovation
UBM’s Events First strategy is how we realise our vision to be the world’s leading B2B events company for UBM’s key stakeholders: our customers, our employees and our investors.
To deliver our vision we have chosen to give strategic priority to UBM’s events business because we believe it provides the best long term opportunities for the business as a whole. PR Newswire remains a significant and important part of UBM and has its strategic focus on its core distributions.
Key strategic objectives
Delivering on UBM’s Events First strategy means:
Growing UBM’s business – by focusing on our larger events which are in the right industries and markets, as well as by better aligning our Other Marketing Services activities, we can optimise our Events growth opportunities.
Attractive Margin – we can increase UBM’s profitability by improving what we do each day, by working smarter, by sharing and standardising more, as well through investing in UBM’s core operating and business systems. The outcome will be that we can give ourselves more choice to reinvest in insight and innovation.
Best Platform – across UBM we are creating the industry’s best events delivery platform, with initiatives ranging from the development of shared, standardised data and technology tools to embedding a high performance culture and investing in UBM’s talented people.
Delivering the Events First strategy
The Events First strategy is built upon UBM’s core values, the UBM Commitments. You can find out more about the UBM Commitments here.
The Events First strategy has five key priorities:
Agile growth: We are actively managing UBM’s portfolio of tradeshows to focus on developing and acquiring events that are (or have clear potential to become) larger and more profitable.
Customer insight and innovation: We are investing in customer insight and innovation to improve our customers’ experiences and their return on investment at our events, and enable better engagement in more relevant ways.
Operational excellence: We are driving improvements in efficiency and effectiveness across the business that will liberate effort to enable more time for insight and innovation.
Standardised technology and data: We are creating standardised platforms and processes which allow us to use new technologies and data to drive efficiency and effectiveness and deliver superior results to our customers.
High performance culture: We will strengthen our culture, continue to invest in our people and sharpen our focus on excellence.