Urban Mines is a team of environmental specialists committed to finding practical and innovative solutions for resource management. It provides consultancy support to public and private sector clients, to develop and support its own schemes, including recycling focused business parks, working with partners and networks to influence policy and develop good practice.
1. Advice - to promote the development and expansion of sustainable waste management practices amongst businesses and other organisations in the community.
2. Education - to promote the creation of a more environmentally conscious society to seek to promote, by means of education initiatives, more consumers of products to be encouraged to buy recycled goods in preference to others.
3. Research - to advance public education by undertaking research into the development of innovative processes and systems in relation to all aspects of waste reduction and recycling.
Our name comes from the concept of waste as 'urban ore', a valuable raw material rather than something useless which should be disposed of. Urban Mines' aim is therefore to 'mine' this urban waste stream. Urban Mines was established as a not-for-profit environmental body in 1995. It is a lead partner in Resource Revolution helping to change the way we think and act to leave a positive footprint on our planets environment.
- Implicitly combines thinking, doing and sharing of knowledge in any
- Puts into practice what it calls '3D networks' - working with peers and also up and down any decision making or supply chains.
- Looks for sustainable solutions with a bold vision to enable our communities to leave a positive footprint on their environment.
- Integrates sustainability as fundamental to underpinning effective environmental practice.
- We extend the boundaries of environmental management and practice.
- We are independent - we tell it straight and keep our promises.
- We have Green Minds/Business Brains - we understand commercial realities as well as environmental costs.
- We establish long term relationships - we go the distance for both our environment and the people we work with.