5-day Complete GC & GC-MS
The 5-day Complete GC & GC-MS course is built from the 3-day Practical Essentials of GC & GC-MS and the 2-day GC & GC-MS Clinic courses to provide a complete training solution enabling you to understand your Gas Chromatograph or GC-MS instrument, develop applications, troubleshoot & maintain it. This course covers all the practical theory you need to know about Gas Chromatography and its related techniques including gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; gases and plumbing; sample introduction like split, splitless, on-column and large volume injection techniques; data analysis; and sampling techniques like headspace, SPME, pyrolysis, thermal desorption, purge & trap, liquid-liquid and solid-phase extraction.
- Event Type:
- Workshops/Training Courses
- Oct. 11-15, 2021
- The Open University
- Milton Keynes , UK
- Number of days: 5
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom, with instrument parts & consumables to handle, case studies to solve & chromatograms to troubleshoot
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1120 + VAT per delegate
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). RSC members receive a discount of 10% for this course (membership number required) if booked at least 6 weeks in advance.
What will you learn on this course?
It also looks at how to choose the GC & GC-MS techniques for an application, set-up the instrument, how to develop & optimise methods and then finally how to maintain & troubleshoot the instrument, techniques and method. It also takes a brief look at advanced techniques to help solve those very tricky applications including Selective Discrimination, Deconvolution, Two-Dimensional GC (GC+GC & GCxGC) and Chemometrics.
A FREE glossary on GC & GC-MS is provided with this 5-day course!
- You will learn the importance of good chromatography
- You will learn how to select and use the GC carrier gas
- You will learn about various injection techniques and when to use each
- You will learn how to select a GC column
- You will learn the operation and selection of an appropriate GC detector
- You will learn about the principles and components of the mass spectrometer
- You will learn how to undertake data analysis
- You will learn about different sampling techniques for GC
- You will learn strategies for method development
- You will get an introduction to GC & MS advanced techniques
- You will recognise areas requiring maintenance on the instrument
- You will learn the logical steps of instrument troubleshooting
Who is this course for?
The Complete GC & GC-MS course is for those who have some knowledge of gas chromatography and would like to greatly enhance it, learning the essential and practical theory about all available GC & GC-MS techniques.
For complete beginners with no or very little knowledge of GC, it is advisable to first attend the 1-day Absolute Basics of GC & GC-MS as you may be overwhelmed by the amount of information on this course.