5-day Hands-on Complete GC & GC-MS
This course provides the theory of the GC and MS essential to any participant, along with the hands-on practical element in the laboratory to practice and re-enforce the theoretical knowledge. These courses are 50% theory and 50% practical in a lab environment. This course addresses gases and plumbing, sample introduction, analytical columns, GC detectors (FID and ECD), mass-spectrometry and data analysis. The knowledge is then used to create methods, perform injections and change parameters to see the effects. The course discusses the need for maintenance along with practicals to carry out maintenance on both a GC and a GC-MS system such as liquid autosampler, inlet, columns, FID/ECD and quadrupole MS including tuning and ion source cleaning. A day is spent on troubleshooting a GC or GC-MS instrument and learning what problems can occur, with real problem solving on the instruments and data analysis software.
- Event Type:
- Workshops/Training Courses
- Sep. 7-11, 2020
- The Open University
- Milton Keynes , UK
- Number of days: 5
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Hands-on, laboratory-based
- RSC approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1870 + VAT per delegate
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). RSC members receive a discount of 10% for this 5-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 6 weeks in advance.
What will you learn on this course?
This course combines the five individual hands-on days covering Gas Chromatography Theory and Methods, GC Maintenance, Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry Theory and Methods, GC-MS Maintenance and GC and GC-MS Troubleshooting.
A FREE glossary on GC & GC-MS is provided with this course!
- You will learn the importance of good chromatography
- You will learn about the function & operation of the individual GC components
- You will become familiar with the GC instrumentation
- You will have practical experience of adjusting the parameters for each GC component
- You will have practical experience of performing maintenance on each GC components
- You will learn the principles of mass spectrometry
- You will learn about the function & operation of the MS individual components
- You will become familiar with the MS instrumentation
- You will have practical experience of adjusting the parameters for each MS component
- You will have practical experience of performing maintenance on each MS component
- You will learn the strategies for GC & GC-MS instrument troubleshooting
- You will have practical experience of GC & GC-MS instrument troubleshooting
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for all levels of knowledge; however for complete beginners it is advisable to attend the 1-day Absolute Basics of GC & GC-MS first to get a good basic overview of gas chromatography and GC-MS.
If you would like to improve your knowledge in a particular area and don't want to attend a 5-day course you can choose to attend individual days from the Hands-on Complete GC & GC-MS course.