IAIA21 - Annual Conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment
Recent dramatic events worldwide, from floods and bushfires to the ongoing pandemic, call for a revaluing of the contribution of impact assessment tools to anticipating and preparing us for such challenges. Integrating environmental and health considerations into planning and decision making, across geographic scales and sectors, is essential to ensure preparedness, mitigation, adaptation, and community resilience.
- Event Type:
- May 18-21, 2021
The turn of the century saw a data explosion, evidenced even more in recent times by global initiatives to measure the spread of COVID-19 and the associated improvements in air quality, for example. The related increase in the application of novel techniques and tools to manage and make sense of this data is seamlessly increasing the information available, particularly through systematic online interfaces, to support assessments and decisions. These advancements are potentially strengthening and bolstering impact assessment, planning, and decision making practice through the delivery of evidence-based, spatially robust, and transparent information. There are also indications that they can influence coordination of procedures and governance dynamics – as also made evident by the health crisis. Can we learn from past and recent experiences and take a more proactive approach to effectively making use of the growing flow of spatio-temporal data and technological innovation to enhance assessments and decisions? Would this contribute to taking better environmental action?
Against the backdrop of digital and technological progress and increasing global environmental, health and social challenges, this conference aims to explore related scientific, technological, and governance developments to reflect on whether the impact assessment community is getting any smarter at bridging the science and art of impact assessment. Are we exploiting the full potential of smart technologies and big data? Are we communicating scientific information appropriately across the various governance tiers and to all relevant players? Do we understand what the “right” information is for decision-makers and, indeed, how data and methodological innovation are influencing decisions? Is this leading to a new era of impact assessment and thinking? Or do we remain in the status quo?
These and some other contemporary questions will help address how we can make best use of scientific innovation to address pressing global and local challenges.
This virtual conference will take place over four days, with each day featuring interactive live sessions and many concurrent pre-recorded sessions from which to choose. Stay tuned for more details about the interactive event platform, delegate networking opportunities, exhibits, and more.
The conference will be structured in 10 thematic streams.
- The role of impact assessment in addressing global challenges
- Technology, data, and innovation: A move towards better global coordination in addressing pressing challenges
- Decision impacts: How is impact assessment truly influencing decisions?
- Strengthening the effectiveness of impact assessment through collaboration
- Efficient communication for streamlining processes
- Big data analytics for tackling the biodiversity crisis
- Impact assessment and management through technological advancements including online tools
- Information overload and impact assessment: Effectively communicating risks and uncertainties
- Tackling contemporary environmental issues: The contribution of smart technologies to monitoring
- Investment and financing for environmental protection
Discussions will also address general IA topics and the IAIA special-interest Sections.
In addition to conference sessions, training courses, and special meetings, we are planning a range of technical visits that will involve learning, networking, and laughter as you are introduced to this beautiful part of Spain. Some examples:
- Gemasolar power plant and La Monclova Castle: Gemasolar is the world’s first commercial-scale plant that applies the technology of a central tower receiver and thermal storage.
- Doñana National Park: This protected area is one of the most important wetlands in Europe and a bird-watcher’s paradise. It is located 50 kilometers outside the city.
- Olive groves: Andalusia is one of the largest producers of olive oil in Europe. This visit will cover ecological cultivation and its contribution to diminishing the environmental impact of this agricultural model.
- Boat trip on the Guadalquivir: This visit will meander through this iconic river, exposing contrasting and biodiversity-rich landscapes all the way to the marshes of the Doñana National Park, a biodiversity hotspot in Europe.
- Mining Park of Rio Tinto: Now closed, the extracted minerals colored and changed the properties of the Rio Tinto waters. The resulting environmental conditions were chosen by NASA scientists to test hypothetical visits to Mars.
- El Camorro International Bird Migration Centre: This visit will examine this international enclave, a reference for the study of the migration of birds through the Gibraltar Straight.
IAIA21 is expected to attract more than 1000 international delegates from 80+ nations around the world with a large concentration expected from Europe. The annual conference provides a platform for delegates representing a variety of sectors to share and engage with each other.
IAIA21 is expected to attract more than 1000 international delegates from 80+ nations around the world with a large concentration expected from Europe. One of the strengths of IAIA conferences is its diversity in participants from different sectors; IAIA conferences draw attendees from consultancies, government, industry, academia, research institutes, donor agencies, development banks, and NGOs in over 80 countries.
- Enjoy direct access to new business leads from around the world.
- Showcase your services to a captive and cutting-edge clientele.
- Network, widen, and maintain contacts with your peers, clients, and those who conduct, evaluate and require IAs and IA tools.
- Be inspired by attending and participating in stimulating and thought-provoking discussions.
- Learn about cutting-edge IA theory and practice from around the world.
- Disseminate and demonstrate your product and receive feedback.
- Expand your products and services based on needs identified by delegates.
IAIA is the only interdisciplinary, international conference dedicated to the art and science of impact assessment… the only one.