1.8 billion people use a drinking-water source contaminated with faeces.
Global Key facts related with drinking water consumption
According the World Health Organizatiion (WHO)
- 4.2 billion people now get water through a piped connection; 2.4 billion access water through other improved sources including public taps, protected wells and boreholes.
- 663 million people rely on unimproved sources, including 159 million dependent on surface water.
- Globally, at least 1.8 billion people use a drinking-water source contaminated with faeces.
- Contaminated water can transmit diseases such diarrhoea, Contaminated drinking-water is estimated to cause 502 000 diarrhoeal deaths each year.cholera, dysentery, typhoid and polio.
- By 2025, half of the world’s population will be living in water-stressed areas.
- In low- and middle-income countries, 38% of health care facilities lack improved water source, 19% do not have improved sanitation and 35% lack water and soap for handwashing.