City of Sioux Falls Sustainability Program and Leading Green initiative was awarded the 3rd Annual National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)’s Excellence in Sustainability Award on June 6, 2010 at NEHA’s Annual Educational Conference & Exhibition in Albuquerque, NM. Gus Schaefer, Senior Vice President and Public Safety Officer from Underwriters Laboratories, which sponsors the award, commented that the Sioux Falls sustainability program “implemented activities for energy conservation, waste reduction, recycling, “green” product usage, and more. He also pointed out that the program is unique, multi-faceted, and had buy-in from city employees, businesses and the community.
To learn more about the City of Sioux Falls Sustainability Program and Leading Green Initiative, visit www.siouxfalls.org/green.
Applicants for NEHA’s Excellence in Sustainability Award were scored on ten different attributes:
- did the program demonstrate use of the practices that exemplify outstanding creativity or introduce new approaches,
- did the applicant clearly demonstrate leadership in the field of sustainability,
- is the program environmental sound and economically feasible,
- is the program self-sustaining or is there funding to sustain the program,
- does the program result in a significant and measurable environmental benefit,
- were quantifiable results presented,
- did the program clearly demonstrate the applicant’s commitment to environmental excellence,
- does the program lend itself to replication by other organizations,
- was adequate supporting information provided to support the application, and
- what were the benefits of any outreach efforts.