DALLAS, TX and MUMBAI, INDIA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/10/12 -- Aegis Limited, a global outsourcing services provider and part of the $17 billion Essar Group, has achieved an A+ rating in Global Reporting Initiative's (GRI) Sustainability Report. GRI is a non-profit organization promoting economic, environmental and social sustainability by providing organizations with a comprehensive sustainability reporting framework used worldwide.
Aparup Sengupta, MD and Global CEO, Aegis, said, 'GRI's A+ rating is an extremely proud moment for us as it's completely driven by the people of Aegis. For us, sustainability is not merely Corporate Social Responsibility, but a profound commitment to nurture the economic, social, and environmental impact to the institution. This philosophy is embodied in our vision which perpetually resonates as Happy People, Happy Customers, Happy Shareholders and Happy World. We will continue to build and maintain our passionate resolve towards a sustainable enterprise, thereby making a positive and visible difference to all stakeholders. This unique honor is just another humbling moment in our journey.'
The Sustainability Reporting Framework from GRI enables organizations to measure and report their performance transparently, thereby increasing stakeholders trust. Happy World (http://www.aegishappyworld.com), Aegis' CSR initiative, drives such sustainability initiatives globally throughout the year by engaging the company's workforce of 55,000 employees. In 2010-11 Happy World worked with 9,740 employees to aid 22,892 people through 248 activities across the globe and supported 124 non-profit organizations.
Mr. SM Gupta, Chief People Officer, Aegis added, 'Aegis is expanding its global footprint which from a people's perspective means new environments, need for adaptability and means of encouraging the workforce to perform and contribute towards organizational objectives. Keeping this in mind, we become an initiator of happy experiences driven by one of our key stakeholders, our people. Our sustainability efforts run along the 'Happy Experience' paradigm to truly ensure sustainable socio-economic growth for all associated with us directly or indirectly.'
In order to secure the A+ rating, Aegis fulfilled all 79 indicators set by GRI under Economic Performance, Labor Practices, Human Rights, Environmental Practices, Society Performance and Product Responsibilities. Some of the key highlights of the activities are:
- Per employee electricity consumption reduced from 1003 KWH units to 955 KWH
- 1,700 trees planted in Philippines and India
- Annual Greenest Center Contest: Overall power reduction by approximately 6%, paper consumption by approximately 28% and plastic waste by approximately 16%
- Donation of 1,295 kilos (2,850 pounds) of rice benefiting 3,410 children across NGO's (non-profit organizations) in India
- Global drive where employees donated 1,907 units of blood
- 500+ books and stationery items donated to 350 children of Snehasadan NGO in Mumbai
- Aegis became the first corporation to run a platelet donation drive in association with The Tata Memorial Hospital and The Nargis Dutt Memorial Charity Trust
- Women empowerment: The Happy World team organized training for women to make Jute accessories and cookies, enabling them with a livelihood program
- The Roving Spa: a unique activity in Philippines to support the livelihood of trained blind masseurs
As Aegis expands its business footprint on a global level, processes and practices are being adapted to regional requirements. Sustainable practices continue to be incorporated across all new business ventures, ensuring long term profitability in conjunction with social and environmental development.
Founded almost 30 years ago in the US, Aegis is a global business services and experience management company committed to impacting clients' business outcomes by focusing on end user brand experience across all touch points and channels. With a presence in 12 countries, 50 locations, and with more than 55,000 employees, Aegis manages over a billion customer interactions every year for over 300 clients across verticals such as Banking, Financial Services, Insurance, Telecom, Healthcare, Travel and Hospitality, Consumer Goods, Retail, and Technology. Aegis manages, enables, extends, and enhances business experiences for its clients and their customers across consulting, technology, outsourcing, and training and education. Aegis is wholly owned by the Essar group -- a $17 billion global conglomerate. For more information, visit www.aegisglobal.com, on Twitter @aegisonline or www.facebook.com/aegisglobal.