SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today introduced a headspace instrument for gas chromatography (GC) sample analysis, the 7697A Headspace Sampler. Based on Agilent's automatic liquid sampler (ALS) technology, the 7697A Headspace Sampler features superior performance without loss or degradation of volatile components found in the gas portion of partitioned GC samples.
Headspace sampling allows the introduction of volatile compounds, from virtually any matrix, directly into a GC or GC/MS instrument. The technique is relatively simple when compared to other injection techniques, such as purge and trap, and keeps instruments cleaner than the standard liquid injection.
Designed to support multiple industries, the 7697A is appropriate for diverse applications, including:
- pharmaceutical quality assurance and quality control;
- environmental applications, such as identifying volatile substances in water;
- forensic analysis, such as distinguishing the presence of alcohol and other volatiles in blood;
- flavor and fragrance profiling; and
- food safety testing, such as detecting volatiles in beer and other beverages.
'The 7697A Headspace Sampler was designed with our customers in mind, incorporating unique features that improve workflow,' said Shanya Kane, vice president, Gas Chromatography Systems and Workflow. 'Not only is this instrument versatile and ready to use by everyone from the pharmaceutical industry to food safety testers, it is also energy efficient.'
The 7697A Headspace Sampler is available as both a high-end sampler with 111-vial capacity or as a mid-range unit with 12-vial capacity. Additional features include:
- a barcode reader for those sample sets that require stringent confirmation;
- pneumatics control for consistent sampling;
- automatic calibration and vial leak checking;
- a comprehensive software package that minimizes user training time; and
- automatic shut-down and wake-up to conserve energy and resources.
The 7697A Headspace Sampler is available to order with first shipments expected in mid-February.
About Agilent Technologies
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world's premier measurement company and a technology leader in chemical analysis, life sciences, electronics and communications. The company's 18,500 employees serve customers in more than 100 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $5.4 billion in fiscal 2010. Information about Agilent is available at www.agilent.com.