ALERT: accepting US hazmat endorsements in Canada


Source: The Compliance Center (ICC)

Part 6 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Regulations requires anyone who handles, offers for transport or transports dangerous goods (HazMat in the US) to hold a valid training certificate.

Subsection 6.4(1) of the TDG Regulations provides for US drivers who hold a document, valid in the United States, that shows they are trained as set out in sections 172.700 to 172.704 of 49 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations).

In the US, drivers that transport HazMat in quantities that require placards must pass a state-level exam required by Section 383.93 of 49 CFR. The state will then add a HazMat endorsement to their Commercial Driver’s License. In Canada, Canadian drivers are not required to have a HazMat endorsement on their driver’s license when transporting dangerous goods.

An agreement between the US Department of Transportation - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and Transport Canada states that:

  • Transport Canada will recognize:
    • the HazMat endorsement of the Commercial Driver’s Licence;
    • a copy of the certification stipulated in section 172.704(d)(5) of 49 CFR; or
    • a TDG training certificate issued under Part 6 of the TDG Regulations.
  • The US will accept a Canadian driver’s TDG training certificate in lieu of a HazMat endorsement.
  • Canadian TDG Inspectors can request further verification by contacting the Director, Compliance and Response within the TDG Directorate.

To find out more, please contact your regional Transport Dangerous Goods Office or visit the TDG website at:

Customer comments

No comments were found for ALERT: accepting US hazmat endorsements in Canada. Be the first to comment!