Allen & York were delighted to be recognised as one of the first 100 participants of the Climate Neutral Network (CN Net) an initiative led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
The UNEP has been established to promote global action and involvement in moving towards low carbon economies and societies.
As a leading specialist Environmental Recruitment Consultancy, Allen & York recognise and understand the importance of protecting the environment and promoting best practice, which led to the ‘greening’ of their offices.
Envirowise – a government initiative providing practical environmental advice for business – were brought in to offer guidance and identify further ways to improve their environmental performance.
Waste to landfill, energy usage, water usage and transport were areas that were categorised to have significant environmental impact.
The main measures take by Allen & York include:
Establishing a wormery to reduce waste to landfill by an estimated 50%.
- Removing individual waste bins and introducing communal recycling bins for plastic, glass, tins, cans, paper and cardboard.
- Offsetting travel emissions to and from work, including client visits.
- Removal of water coolers and fitting of charcoal filter to the mains water pipe, saving on energy.
- Installation of thermostatic controls to heating system, to save energy.
- Ordering only recycled toilet roll and fair trade tea & coffee.
- And where possible, sourcing from local & environmentally assured suppliers.
- For more information visit the A&Y profile: http://www.climateneutral.unep.org/cnn_members.aspx?m=503
Allen & York intend to drive their ‘green strategy’ forward into 2009/2010 and are looking for more ways to reduce, reuse and recycle.
Mark Allen, the Managing Director said that;
‘We are delighted to accept the Climate Neutral Network Award, from such a prestigious organisation as the UNEP. I strongly believe in our ongoing corporate social responsibilities towards preserving and protecting the environment. This award will spur us on to seek further improvements and continually focus on improving in this area”.
The CN Net is helping to achieve significant cuts in greenhouse gas emissions by making the best knowledge on climate neutrality available to all and sharing practical experiences. To find out more visit their website at: http://www.unep.org